Ch.1 | The Beginning of Change

Picture above is Allison right now, the same age as Alphonse; six years old.

************

Allison's view

"Brother, does Mom like us practicing alchemy?" I asked my second older brother Alphonse or Al, who was lying on the floor surrounded by a series of alchemy books. Some were opened while others were piled upon each other.

Tracing the chalk against the floor, I finished drawing my transmutation circle. My brothers and I were in Dad's room, or what Mom says, his study room for practicing and researching alchemy. Big brother Ed wanted us to learn all kinds of alchemy, I didn't say no. It's really fun learning more and more everyday, it's interesting finding new forms.

"Yeah, I think so. Mom is always saying we're a lot like Dad when we use alchemy." Al answered smiling at me. Al grabbed another book

"It makes her happy seeing that were like Dad." Ed added, staring down at his transmutation circle with a smile.

I nodded with a giggle. Their right. Mom gets really happy when we practice alchemy, she says we're like daddy as Ed said. But, sometimes I think it makes her sad too... Ever since Dad left us, she's been different. She talks to us and loves us like always, but mom just isn't the same without daddy. I wish Dad would come back for mom, for us.

"Ed, Al, Ali? Where are you three?" Mom's voice rang out, just behind the door.

Mom! Grinning, I looked at the door, waiting for her to come in.

Mom opened the door, and her eyes widened. "Oh my, you three... Are you in here making a mess in your Father's study, again?" Mom scolded. "And Ed, you know better than to scribble on the floor. Same goes for you Ali."

I pouted. It's not scribbling, it's alchemy.

"Yeah, butbit's not scribbling. Here, watch!" Ed said, and placed his hands on the ground.

Blue sparks came out the transmutation circle, a small wooden bird was made out of the wood from the floor. It was very detailed also. That's so cool! Ed made a bird, it looks so pretty! I can't even do that yet.

"Oh my, that's alchemy, isn't it?" Mom stated before sitting down with us. "Did your father teach you that?"

I frowned slightly, "He can't." I mumbled.

"Right. How can he teach us if he's not here?" Ed said.

"We read about it in his books!" Al added.

"Big brother's are right! Dad has a lot of books about alchemy in here." I said, flipping through one of Dad's books.

Mom stared at the bird for a while, then looked at us. "I can't believe you've done this..." Mom said.

Oh. I hung my head, with a frown on my face. Brothers did the same.

"I'm sorry, did we do something wrong?" Ed asked.

Mom is mad at us.

"Oh no! It's great!" Mom exclaimed with her hands clapped together. "You definitely take over your father! My little geniuses, you make me so proud!"

I grinned and looked at my brothers. We all had the same look, we were going to study way more just to make her proud. From here, we all became obsessed with alchemy. We read all Dad's books, we learned from them, we practiced and practiced till we were able to transmute pretty well.