Chapter One

Cyn

"Mya, who did you say was holding for me?" I asked my assistant on the intercom. Today had been such a hectic day that seemed never ending. I'd prefer being busy over being slow any day of the week, but this was ridiculous. I'd been stuck in my office for hours going over files and truth be told, I had plenty more to look at before going home for the day.

"It's Mr. Myers, this is his third time calling today." She responded immediately.

Shit, I'd forgotten completely about him. I exhaled and picked up the call.

"Mr. Myers, how are you?"

"I'm just peachy Ms. Santana, and yourself?" He replied.

I'm fucking exhausted and in desperate need of a shot of brown liquor, I wanted to answer him and say.

"I'm pretty good actually. What can I help you with?"

He went on to tell me about some stocks that he was interested in purchasing and wanted me to research for him.

"I can most definitely look into that for you and get you an answer by noon tomorrow. Is the cell the best number to reach you?"

"Yes ma'am. I'll be waiting on your call." He said in his thick country accent.

"Yes sir. Bye now." I disconnected the call and sighed before jotting down a reminder in my calendar to handle his business for him.

I'd had my own financial firm for a year now and business was booming. Coming out of college and straight into the work field had been an adjustment, but I'd gotten it done. I couldn't be more proud of the success that I'd gotten thus far and even though all this working made me very tired at times, I loved being my own  boss.

"What time do you think we're leaving tonight?" Mya asked walking into my office and sitting in a chair in front of my desk.

"You can leave when you're done with whatever you're doing. I'll probably be here for at least another hour." I looked at my Rolex and shook my head. Time was never on my side. I'd promised my sister earlier in the week that I'd go to dinner with her tonight and from the looks of it, I wasn't gonna make it.

"I'll be here for another thirty minutes. I'm finishing up the follow up calls from all clients that opened new portfolios last week." She said.

"Thanks. And before you go, will you call my sister and tell her I'm not gonna make dinner tonight?" I asked her.

"Sure." She smiled and got up leaving the office.

I went to my Keurig and brewed a cup of coffee before cracking open another financial file.

An hour later....

"Knock, knock. Guess who it is." 

I lifted my head to follow the voice that just spoke to me and saw my sister opening my office door.

"Hennessy my darling!" I smiled at her getting up to hug her.

She grabbed me in for a hug, "Don't act like you're happy to see me when you cancelled on me bitch."

I couldn't help but laugh. Regardless of the setting, Henn was always unapologetically herself.

"I'm sorry I had to cancel but do you see this?" I pointed at the pile of file folders that were neatly stacked on my desk.

"There is more to life Cynthia than work. You own the freaking firm for Christ' sake! You can take a day or at least a few hours to yourself to have dinner with your sister for crying out loud." She fussed as she sat across from me.