Chapter 3

Ryder

After helping Mike and Aaron set up the karaoke machine on the small stage, I settle back in my original seat. I watch as Mike grabs the microphone and yell, "All of you shut up!"
         Everyone in the bar goes quiet and turns their heads to see what the owner has to say. "Many of you don't know this, but I have a young woman in my life that I think of as a daughter." Mike announces to everyone. The entire bar is stunned, almost all of the people in the bar have been coming here for years and never had any idea about this girl.

"Now, she hasn't been around in awhile because she's been making a huge name for herself on Broadway. But, she surprised me tonight and is here with us." He announces. The bar goes crazy applauding. Mike waits a moment for everyone to stop before continuing, "Harper and her friend Aaron are going to sing some songs for everyone. So I want everyone to shut their traps and be as respectful as the lot of you can be to them." Mike glares at everyone making sure his point has gotten across. Once he's sure that is has, he gets off the stage and we all turn to see Aaron dragging Harper across the bar.

I'm excited to see what this girl can do. She's amazingly beautiful with a killer body so a great voice would just be the cherry on top. I'm sure I know her from somewhere but I can't place it yet. But I already know I want to get to know her better, any man that can win Mike's loyalty is definitely worth knowing.

Harper

"Come on! What song should we sing first? I'm thinking something from RENT since that was the first show we were in together." Aaron rambles as he pulls be across the bar and onto the stage.
         "No! These people are not going to want to listen to us sing Broadway songs!" I exclaim, as a blush starts to creep up my neck.
"What are you talking about? These people are lucky to get a free concert from the two of us. Besides, it's been forever since we've sung karaoke together. It'll be fun." Aaron states as he starts going through the song list on the machine.

          As he scrolls thought the songs, I think about what he said. It's true, we had both been slammed with performances and other engagements that we haven't been able to get together and have fun. With a shake of me head, I resolve to let lose and have fun singing with Aaron. I mean, I've sung in front of hundreds at shows and in front of strangers in bars before, I could do this.

I look out at the crowd while Aaron continues to search for the song he's looking for. My eye's automatically find Ryder sitting in the middle of the bar watching as we get ready. He sure has aged well, his shaved head and dark stubble bring out his amazing green eyes and fantastic smile. When he walked over to us earlier I was so scared he would recognize me, but he didn't and we were able to have an actual conversation.
         He was nice and funny when we spoke, I wonder if he would speak to me again. Probably not, he was most likely just curious about the woman Mike had hugged but now he would leave me alone since I was nothing special. I mean a guy like him could have any girl he wanted, what would he want with me?

I'm pulled out of my reverie hearing the first bars of Take Me As I Am from the play RENT. We had both starred in the play almost 8 years ago, Aaron as Mark and myself as Maureen, so we both knew it my heart.
           I allow the music to take over and feel myself falling back into Maureen's character, tuning out everyone but Aaron. As we begin the duet, I find myself having fun. We start moving around the stage, really getting into the song. As the final notes start to fade I open my eyes and smile at Aaron. He gives me a huge smile in return and envelopes me in a hug.

Apparently Aaron put together a little play list because the next song began right away. We continue singing various songs from different plays we were in together or separately.
         VAfter another 5 songs, the music stops and we turn to face the crowd but are met with silence and blank looks on everyone's faces. I look to Ryder and see he has a look of wonder on his face and I feel my self blush as he stands up and begins to clap. This seemed to bring everyone out of their stupor and they began clapping and standing as well.

We move off the stage and back to the bar and out drinks. When were back in our seats and drinking our new drinks that Mike has gotten us, Mike comes over to hug and kiss me with a proud look on his face. Whenever I see that proud look in Mike's eyes I always feel this sensation in my heart, likes it's growing ten sizes. Mike's one of the few people that have ever been proud of me in my life, so I always try to do things that he would be proud of.

"Damn girl, every time I hear you sing feels like the first. You really are amazing." Mike whispers into my hair before pulling away. I smile shyly before sitting back down to talk to Aaron. We talk and laugh for a few minutes before Ryder swaggers over to us.

          "Wow woman, you really do have a powerhouse of a voice. And in such a tiny body too." he says with a smile.

"Thanks," I reply quietly. I'm used to people complementing me on my voice, but it feels different coming from Ryder. "No problem," he says turning to face Aaron, "You have some serious pipes too man. You guys were great together." Aaron smiles and tips his drink towards Ryder in response.
         Turning back to me he says, "Why don't the two of you come join my friends and I at our table. We can hang out and talk for a while."

I look down at the bar, my face feels like it's beet red, before I answer, "Thanks for the offer, but we're actually going to head out. We've had a long day of traveling and need to crash." I look at Ryder and see he looks slightly disappointed before smiling and saying, "Then we'll have to get together another time real soon." Before I can answer, Aaron speaks up. "Of course! We're staying at Harper's new house just down the road a bit so I'm sure we'll see you around. But just in case you should give Harper your number."

I turn to glare at him, he's always trying to set me up and every time I end up wanting to strangle him. Ryder smirks saying, "That sounds like a great idea. Hand me your phone." With no other choice, I pull my phone out of my back pocket and put it into is waiting hand. He begins putting his number in when I hear his phone go off. "I called myself, just wanted to make sure I had your number too. You know, just in case I need to call you." He says after taking in my confused look. "Oh, that makes sense," I mumble.

After giving Mike a hug and making plans for him to stop by tomorrow to see my new house, Aaron and I head out. Once out the door, I smack him upside the head saying, " I cannot believe you did that! Actually I can, you pull this shit all the time! Why did you have to do that?" I yell as we begin to walk.
       But as usual, Aaron just waves me off and ignores me saying, "You'll thank me later." I glare at his back thinking to myself that I will most definitely not thank him.