Chapter 29

Ryder 

          As everyone began to get to their seats, I watched as Harper walked to the stage and took a microphone. She waited patiently while the last stragglers quieted down before she began speaking.

          "Good evening everyone. Thank you for joining us tonight to help raise some much needed money for Head Start. For those who do not know me, my name is Harper O'Connell and before I became a Broadway actress, ,I grew up here." 

          At that comment, people began to cheer and clap. I watched as she smiled patiently at everyone before continuing, "What none of you know is that I practically lived at Head Start for 6 years while I was growing up." Her comment was met with silence. I knew she was private about  her life growing up but I didn't know that no one knew her history. I felt myself smile knowing that she gave me that part of her when almost on one else knew. 

          "I ran away from my home when I was 8 for reasons I won't get into tonight. I lived solely on the streets for two years before the man that is now my father found me and helped me. Don;t get me wrong, it took a lot for him to get close to me. But once he did, he introduced me to Lisa Frizzle, the director here, and the both of them made me see that not all adults were bad people. Because of this place and the wonderful people who help run it, I was  able to find a safe place when I needed one. I'm not the only person Head Start has saved, hundreds of kids pass through those doors each year. Sometimes for only a few nights, sometimes for years. It doesn't matter which, every child deserves to have a safe place to come when they are in need. It is for these, and many many more, that we need to help save this place before the state is finally able too. All I'm asking is for you to think about is what if , heaven forbid, your child was out on the streets and needed some food and a warm bed. Wouldn't you want them to have the chance to come to this place? So, without further ado, please enjoy your dinner and the show." 

          The room was instantly overwhelmed with applause at her speech. I stood, clapping hard. I was unbelievably proud that she was mine. She shared such a hard part of her life with hundreds of strangers with such pride and poise. As fucked up as it is, I was getting hard thinking about how amazing she was and what I was going to do to her when we got home later. 

          I sat back in my seat and watched her make her way off the stage and over to our table. I stood and pulled the chair out for her, kissing her cheek as I pushed her in. Sitting down, I wrapped my arm around her shoulder as I told her how proud I was of her. Mike was sitting on her other side and he shared how he felt as well. I chuckled as she blushed when the rest of the table complimented her on how well she did. 

           The servers were soon making their way around the room with some salads as a projection screen dropped down and a film about the kids and the shelter began to quietly play in the background. 

           The dinner passed good enough, the food was too fancy for my taste, but it fit with the feel of the place and the people here who expected food like this. We were all able to relax and enjoy ourselves despite the fucked up call that happened earlier and before we knew it, it was time for the show. 

          Harper excused herself from the table with Aaron and they made their way behind the stage where everyone else performing was gathering. Mrs. Frizzle stepped onto the stage gathering everyone's attention. "Hello all, I want to thank you again for being here to support us tonight. Now that the dinner is over, let the fun begin! Our wonderful Harper was kind enough to donate her time and wrangle some of her friends to donate their time and talent as well. I hope you enjoy the show and stick around for the silent auction at the end. 

          The lights dimmed as Harper stepped onto the stage, microphone in hand. She had told me a few days before what the line up was and I knew everyone was in for a hell of a time. But, just as she started the song, Colt's phone started going off. "What the fuck dude? You didn't turn your fucking phone on silent?" Eli said, pushing his shoulder. 

            "Fuck off. This is an alarm I have set to my phone, not some text message." Colt looked at his phone and I even in the darkness, I saw his face pale and his eyes light with anger. It's from Harper's house. The security system has been breached." 

              "Let's go." I say starting to stand. 

            "No, let Colt and a few of the boys check it out. You need to stay put for Harper's sake. She's keeping it together right now but if she sees you leave she's going to know something is wrong and panic." Mike says, leaning over and restraining my arm. He's right though, this is important to Harper and I need to be here, not at her house where I won't be able to do anything. 

           I nod, sitting back down and Colt, Eli, and three other brothers head out, promising to let me know what's happening as soon as they find out. 

             Thankfully, I'm distracted by Harper on stage. She looks so god damned incredible up there in her fancy dress and singing her heart out. She's going to be mine forever. Although, we're going to have to figure this cross country shit out. No way am I having her in New York while I'm totally across the country. As I think over possible solutions and listen to her sing, i lose track of time until I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. 

            I whip it out to see the text from Eli, 'Nothing serious. The fuck wad threw some bricks through her downstairs windows. The dogs are safe, Colt is on his way to grab some plywood to board up the windows. Just remember it could have been worse.'

            I slip it back into my pocket feeling glad as fuck that it wasn't something worse and it could be fixed tomorrow. I know Harper's not going to take this well but I need to keep in mind it could have been much worse and convince her of that. Resolving to do that, I settle back in and giver Harper and the show my full attention. 

Author's Note***

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, my in laws arrived so I'm not going to be able to update until Tuesday (I might try to squeeze one in on Monday but I make no promises).

Remember to vote and comment if you are enjoying my story so far!