Chapter 5

"So tell me how your meeting went with Mrs. Frizzle." Aaron asks as I stand at the counter in my bathroom putting makeup on for the party. I glance at him in the mirror before answering, "It went well. We came up with idea of doing a fundraising concert/dinner. I was, um, hoping that you would help out and sing some songs at the fundraiser." I quickly whisper, afraid to look at him.
          "Oh honey, you know I'll help out and preform at it. Why would you doubt that?" Aaron questions. "I don't know, I guess I just don't want you to feel like I'm using you or anything."  I answer.
          He walks up and grabs my shoulders turning me around so I'm forced to look at him. "Harper O'Connell, you are one of my best friends. Of course I'm not going to think you're using. This is for a great cause that means a lot to you. I would be happy to help." Aaron assures me.
         "Now, I want you to tell me what happened to my confident, self assured Harper. I know in general you're more introverted and shy around people you don't know, but it seems like you're even more shy here." Aaron asks me with a serious look on his face. "I don't know!" I exclaim "It just feels like now that I'm back here, I'm the same person I was 10 years ago. I know that now I'm successful, attractive, and talented but here...it just feels like I'm that poor, ugly street girl with no confidence."
         I turn from Aaron and go back to focusing on putting my make up on. "Do not let these people get you down. You are an insanely kind, talented, smart, generous person. If you are ever doubting yourself, I will be here to remind you.
         I spin quickly hugging him hard. "Thank you." I whisper into his shoulder. He smiles saying, "Now hurry up. I want to go see how many gorgeous men are going to be at this party. You know how much I love a bad boy."
         I laugh finishing up my Smokey eye. I decided since I was going heavy with my eye makeup to go natural on the rest of my face. I go to my closet and pull out black skinny jeans and a burgundy body suit that has a low cut front and long sleeves and my favorite Louboutin black pumps. With a brush of my hair, I'm ready for the unknown.
         As we load into our SUV, I turn to Aaron and ask, "Should we stop somewhere and grab something to bring?" He barks out a laugh before looking at me, "Honey, I don't think this is the type of party we're used to where you show up with a nice bottle of wine or gourmet desert." 
         Hmm, he's probably right but I can't help the feeling that we're not being very polite, but I silently agree with him. We drive for a couple of minutes before turning into a large fenced parking lot with a few low buildings a bit away.
        The parking lot is full of bikes and a whole lot of people clad in denim and leather. I turn to Aaron saying, "This is most definitely not like the parties we go to. And I think we're extremely over dressed." I scan the crowd seeing a lot of half dressed women rubbing up against men I see wearing matching leather jackets with the same patch on the back.
         I continue scanning the people until I find the man I was looking for. Ryder. He's standing a little bit away with a few other men and it looks like he's ignoring all the women trying to get his attention. Before he notices us, I let a little jealously bubble up at the thought of him with other women. I know I have absolutely no right to be feeling like this but I can't help it. As if he knows I'm thinking about him, he looks up and makes eye contact with me.