Chapter 10

When I pull my bike in front of Fat Angel's there's only a few other vehicles parked in the lot Thank God, the less people there to see Mike yell at me and see me beg for his help the better. 

          I walked into the dimly lit bar and scanned the room looking for Mike. He was behind the empty bar watching the baseball game on T.V. I walked over and leaned against the bar, "Hey Mike, how's it going?" 

          "Fine, its a nice lull before everyone comes in for the night. What are you doing here so early?" Mike asked with a skeptical look in his eyes.

          "Actually i need to talk to you about something. Is there any where we can go?" 

           He straightens as he hears this, already knowing he wasn't going to like what I had to say. "Yea, everyone will be fine for a few minutes. Let's go back to the office." 

          We walk through the door at the end of the bar and enter a cluttered room Mike uses as his office. He sits in the chair behind the desk and throws his hand out, offering me one of the other chairs. "Alright, let's get straight to the point. What did you do wrong?" 

            I sigh, running my hand down my face before answering. "I messed up. You know how Harper and I have been seeing each other?" 

           He comes alert at my question. Most likely knowing I'm going to tell him I fucked up with Harper in some way; and of course, he's right. "Well, we had plans last night and I had a little anxiety about how much time we were spending together and how much I enjoyed being with her and liked her so quickly. So, I kind of blew her off with out calling to let her know and hung around the club house." Breaking off from my story, I glance at Mike's face and see it's turning red. "And to make matters worse, she may have seen me first thing this morning with a girl on the back of my bike." 

           Mike looks like he's going to blow a gasket so I quickly finish, "It's not like that! We didn't do anything. I couldn't feeling like I was cheating on Harper. I really need your help to get her to listen so I can apologize and convince her nothing like that will happen again while we're seeing each other." 

           The room is so silent you could hear a pin drop. I wait for Mike to calm down enough to speak. "This is why I didn't want her with any of you Chaos brothers. None of you are bad men but commitment seems to be a problem, especially for you." He  says throwing a glare at me. If looks could kill I'd be roasting over a fire like a stuffed pig. "Harper is family to me and after her start in life and how sweet she turned out to be despite it, she deserves the best and not some guy that's going to run around on her." 

          "I promise Mike, it was a one time freak out. I realize relationships aren't my thing but I know Harper is different and I want to make it work with her for as long as I can." 

          With a sigh, Mike answers, "Alright boy, I know she likes you a lot so you probably have a shot if you handle this correctly and grovel the right amount." 

          I nod my head, willing to put aside my ego and pride, I know I'll grovel if it gets Harper to forgive me and give me another chance. We spend the next 20 minutes going over the a plan that Harper will be responsive too. 

           Once I leave the bar, I grab what I'm going to need and make my way over to Harper's house. Pulling into her drive way, I get off my bike and grab the bags. I've picked Harper up from here a few times but have never been inside. I take in the tall 3 story home with it's pale grey blue siding and numerous windows. I don't see her SUV in driveway so I'm hoping either Aaron has it or it's in the garage. 

          I knock on the door and wait but all I get is silence, nobody coming to answer the door and no barks from her beasts, alerting everyone that some one is at the door. Pulling out my phone, I see it's just after 7. I remember from a conversation we had that she usually tries to take the dogs down to the beach around this time of day for them to get one last run in so I head around the back determined to track her down. 

          I scan the beach and see some figures down a ways running in the ocean. Positive that it's the dogs I head towards them. As I get closer I see for sure that it is the dogs with Harper sitting in the sand laughing at them. She looks adorable in her black leggings and over sized cream sweater with her hair pulled into a bun on the top of her head. 

         The dogs see me first, charging over to run circles around me looking for attention. Harper's eyes find mine and I see the absolute sadness in them, even though she tries to cover it up with a smile. Finally reaching her, I grab a ball from the dogs and heave it down the beach. They instantly leave us alone and charge after it. 

          I sit before speaking to her, "Harper, I want to apologize for what I did last night." She tries to cut in but I talk over her, "No, you're going to listen to what I have to say first. what I did was wrong. I had a freak out about how much I felt for you so quickly. I haven't spent this much time with one woman in a long time and it scared me. So I acted like a dick and blew you off without any regard to how you might feel. And this morning what you saw, it's not completely what it looks like. Yes, I took that girl home with me last night but I swear to you that nothing happened. I couldn't stop thinking about you and how guilty I felt. So I slept on the couch and she slept in the bed." 

           She looks at me for a minute, looking like she's searching for something to say. "You don't have to apologize Ryder, we haven't been seeing each other very long and I have no right to expect us to be exclusive. I guess it just hurt that you didn't even let me know that you weren't going to show up. I sat at that restaurant and waited for you. I felt like such a loser, something I haven't felt about myself since I left here." 

           "You're right, we haven't been seeing each other long and we never talked about not seeing other people, but you deserve to be respected and treated fairly, and I didn't do that. So, I'm sorry and I brought presents in case my groveling isn't enough." 

            That seems to get a smile out of her, which I take as a good sign that she may forgive me. "I brought you some cupcakes from Baby Cakes and some new dog toys for the boys since I know they are your babies." 

           At the mention of cupcakes, her eyes light up. "You got me cupcakes?" I nod my head and respond, "I did, and if you forgive me and promise to give us another chance then i may share them with you." 

            This gets me one of her rare full belly laughs. She nods her head saying, "Ok, I think I can do that. Let's wrangle the boys and head in side." 

           Once we stand, she grabs my arm before saying, "Ryder, I forgive you but I need you to promise that if you're freaking out or doubting how you feel about us, I need you to tell me. I can't go back to feeling so bad about myself." 

           I loop my arm around her waist, pulling her tight against me, "I swear Harper, hurting you or making you feel less is not something I ever want to do and I will do my dam-nest not to do it again." I seal this promise with a kiss. Running my  tongue across her seam asking for entrance, she opens up for me. Seizing the moment, I glide my tongue against hers, tasting the sweet taste that is exclusively Harper. 

           Once I get that taste, a kiss that was supposed to be quick, become heated. I devour her mouth, inhaling her taste like it's the last time I'll ever get the chance. 

           After a few long minutes, I break the kiss knowing I plan on doing much more with her once we get into her house.