Chapter 4

Early the next morning I walk down the deserted beach while my two Irish Wolfhounds run through the sand and water. I smile as I watch them play as I think about the upcoming day.
           Even though it's a Saturday I know Mrs. Frizzle will be at the shelter later and I want to stop and see her to go over what we're going to do to raise some money. I know Aaron will probably want to tag along and go out to do some exploring after that.

Norbert, my fawn colored hound, comes bounding up to me with a large stick in his mouth. I can't help but laugh at the look on his large face. Herbert, my grey hound, is right behind him.
          They both look at me expectantly, waiting for me to throw the stick. Not wanting to disappoint them, I grab the stick and hurl it towards the water. They take off after it and I continue my walk. As I watch them, I'm overcome by the happiness they bring me. I have always loved animals but was never allowed to have one when I was little, then being homeless, a pet was never an option. I thought about getting one when I first moved to New York City, but I was to busy. I finally made time a year ago and bought two of my dream dogs and have never been happier.

I'm shaken out of my thoughts when I hear the dogs start barking and see them run towards a jogger making his way towards us. I try to get them back to me, but being sight hounds, if they see something running they need to chase it. I watch as they knock the unsuspecting runner down before laying on him trying to get him to play. I'm mortified as I run over to stop them from harassing the innocent runner any further.

"Oh my god! I'm so so sorry! I didn't expect any one to be on the beach at this time of day. I promise, I'm not an irresponsible dog owner! They're just puppies and they love to play with people but they don't always realize their size or that not everyone wants to play with them." I ramble as I grab both of their collars and use all my strength to pull them off. I look on the ground and see a stick, grabbing it, I throw it as far as I can. Herbert and Norbert take off after it without a second thought.

I look down to help the runner when I realize it's Ryder, sitting in the sand in a pair of black running shorts and a black t shirt that fits way to good over his broad chest and arms. I stick a hand out to help him up as he shakes his head.
        "What the hell are those? Fucking horses?" He asks a little angrily. "Um, no. They're Irish Wolfhounds, they're the world's largest breed of dogs." I answer quietly, biting my lip in embarrassment.

Hearing my answer, Ryder's eyes snap to me. "Holy shit, Harper, I didn't realize it was you." Letting his gaze run over my tight sweatshirt, leggings, and bare feet,he continues, "What are you doing on the beach this early with those beasts?"
         Right on time, both my boys come bounding over looking for attention. "Don't worry, they're both really friendly. Like I said they're still puppies so they have a lot of energy and not a whole lot of common sense yet." I assure Ryder. He looks at both of them before putting his hands out for them to smell before petting them.

"So, what are the three of you doing out here this early? It's barely 6 am." He asks me while still petting the dogs. "Well, were still on New York time right now and the dogs needed a walk. I just bought a house back that way a little bit so I thought a beach walk would me nice." I answer, pointing back towards where we came from.
         Ryder looks in that direction before turning to me, "So you're the one that bought that house. everyone was wondering who bought one of the most expensive houses in town."

I blush before looking at my feet, " Yea, that was me. I've been looking for a house here for a little and really wanted something on the beach. So, even thought it was a little out of my budget I had to have it." Suddenly, I feel rough fingers on my chin and look up to see Ryder standing closer than before.
          "Well, you certainly have great taste because that is one amazing house. You'll have to give me a tour one day." He says with a smirk. "Oh, um, sure. If you really want one." I fumble out.

"Oh sweetheart, I definitely want one." He says with a look on his face that makes me think he's talking about more than a tour.
         "Well, ok, another day then. I should really get the dogs back and feed them, and I'm sure Aaron is up so I'll need to cook something." I say beginning to turn away.
          "Great, I'll walk with you. I was heading in that direction anyway." Ryder says, falling into step with me. We walk silently for a little while watching the dogs chase each other as we get closer to the house.

"Well, this is us." I say as we reach the gate to the house. But before I could open it, Ryder asks, "What are you up to later tonight?"

         I look at him before replying, "I don't think we have plans yet. Maybe just show Aaron around and relax?" Embarrassingly, I make it sound like a question.
          "We're having a party tonight, you and Aaron should come by. I'm sure you'll both have a great time and I wouldn't mind seeing you again." Ryder says.

"Whose having a party? You?" I ask, confused about the way he said 'we're having a party'. "Not really me, but the MC is." He responds.

"You're part of an MC?" I ask, not overly shocked about this new information. Even in high school he had a Harley and was one of the bad boys, so joining an MC isn't too big of a stretch. "Yea, I'm part of Chaos. I joined about 5 years ago." He answers with a look of pride in his eyes. Obviously, having grown up here and living on the streets, I knew about Chaos. They're one of three or four MC's in the San Diego area and they're definitely one of the better ones. From what I remember, they weren't into running drugs, weapons, or women. They ran a garage/customs cars shop and automobile store. Don't get me wrong, they were still dangerous to mess with, but it seemed they kept every thing legal. They also didn't like dealers or prostitutes on their turf, so they also kept the streets clean.

"So, we're having a party at the compound. You and Aaron should stop by." Ryder continued. "Party? Who's having a party and at what time?" We hear coming from the house. Ryder and I both turn our heads to see Aaron on the porch off the kitchen standing in his pajama pants with a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Hey man. My club is having a party tonight at the club house, you and Harper have to stop by." Ryder tells Aaron, probably sensing he's more likely to get a 'yes' out of him than from me. "Oh, we will absolutely be there. I want to see how you California people party." Aaron responds enthusiastically.

"Great, I'll text Harper the address and see you guys later tonight." Ryder says with a smile before continuing down the beach on his run. Well, it looks like I'm going to a biker party tonight since there's no way Aaron is going to let me ditch now.