Chapter 24

Harper

         After swimming with the dogs for a while, Ryder and I are curled up on one my large lounge chairs

         "So now that I know who you are, will you tell me about what you went through growing up?"

         I still at his question, I haven't talked about life with my parents and the struggles I went through when I lived on the streets in a very long time.

          "Hey, if you don't want to it's ok, I just want to get to know you better." He says, giving me a reassuring squeeze.

          I close my eyes and take a deep breathe, "Growing up with my parents wasn't easy. They were drug addicts and y dad pimped my mom out for rent and drug money. Most of the time I didn't have food or clothes that fit properly.

As I got older, things got worse. My parents were doing more drugs and never seemed to have enough money. One night I heard them talking about how they were going to use me to pay off a debt. They were going to give me to their dealer.

When I heard that I go so scared. I was only 8 at the one but I knew what would happen to me, so I ran away. I lived exclusively on the streets for two  year.

          Those were the worst two years of my life. I struggled to find enough food and a safe place to sleep every night. And a lot of street kids aren't very nice, you can't be when you're trying to survive, so I got beat up a lot.

        Eventually Mike found me out back the bar one night looking through the dumpster for food. He brought me inside and gave me hot food and a warm blanket. It continued like that for a few months until I began to trust Mike. Once he saw that trust he introduced me to Mrs. Frizzle at the shelter. After that I stayed there most of the time and did some cleaning for Mike so I. Hold but some clothes and food.

          Then when I turned 16 I went to New York and emancipated from my parents and the rest is history."

         After telling my story I looked up to see his reaction. He was looking at me with a mixture of sorrow and awe. "I can't believe you survived all of that for 8 years and have still managed to become one of the sweetest people I know. You are an amazing woman."

        I feel my face heat at this words. I don't think what I did is that impressive, I did what I had to to survive. "Thank you".

         "Thank you for trusting me with all of that. I promise I'll be worth it. Now, today is supposed to be fun and we're supposed to spend it relaxing. So, I think we should go up to your room and help each other relax."

         I can't help but laugh at that as I stand up and grab his hand.

Author's note***

Hi everyone, I managed to get a super short chapter in since the husband and child are napping together right now. I'm going to try and get one up on Saturday because the husband has duty and I'll have time to write at night.

And I want to thank all of you for 800 views! I never thought Coming Home would get this many but I'm so thankful for all of you taking the time to read this. So remember to vote and comment!