Chapter 7

"How was the shopping?" Jack asked as the two girls returned, giggling as they made it to the main hub. "I take it it went well," he said, sounding almost surprised.

"Oh yes, we had had a great time," Gwen said in between gasp for breath. "Show him the new outfit." she gestured for Sally who did a quick twirled around. She too was all smiles as she did this.

"Nice," Jack said as he smiled at the two girls. And unspoken approval to Gwen who managed to give this girl a good day out.

"I hear you work with aliens," Sally blurted out. Jack gave her a looked then turned to Gwen with a stern look on his face. "Oh, no. please don't be mad at her. I mean it was kind of obvious something strange was going on here. I kind of pulled it out of her." She tried her best to defend Gwen and it seemed to work. Jack seemed to loosen up a bit from her words. "I, what I meant to say is... it's just the two of you, and I don't have a job. That is if you are in need of a doctor, I would love to fill that spot.

Jack folded his arms as he took a step back to look at her. "A doctor, you say?"

"Yes, and I know a bit about astronomy, if that helps." He didn't seem convinced, she had to do something. "Oh come on," She put a little bit of a whine in her voice and gave her best pout. She wasn't proud of this moment, but she had to admit she was really good at it. "What else am I supposed to do, everything I knew and loved is gone or dead. I promise I can be a great asset to you."

He smiled at this looking down at his feet before answering. "Okay, but on temporary basis for now."

Sally grind as she turned to face Gwen who wasn't expecting her to ask that but was happy for her nonetheless. Without either of them thinking about it they both gave each other a hug.

"When can I start?" joy filling her eyes.

"Tomorrow," Jack answered.

"Then I should get back to the hotel to get some rest." She turned to grab her bags before starting for the door. Gwen grabbed a few and told her she would walk her back to the hotel.

"I want you two here first thing in the morning!" Jack called out.

"I'll bring her with me," Gwen called back as the two left.