Chapter 22

The soft blue light lined the ground just enough to show them where they were walking, but not much more. "Um, what happened and where are we?" Gwen tried to stay calm as she said this, but there was still a slight amount of panic seeped through as she spoke.

"Looks like some kind of spaceship" Jack began to hit some buttons on the control panel. Nothing seemed to happen.

"Is that a good idea to be doing that" Ianto made no effort to hid is concern about what was going on. "I mean, if we are in space, and we have no idea where we are. Is it smart to just be hitting buttons like that?"

"It will be fine" Jack mumbled trying to make out what everything was, having a hard time with the lack of light that was in the room.

He kept this up until Sally noticed the Master was no longer with them. Commenting on this, Jack and everyone looked at where he once was. But it was short lived for a moment later they heard footsteps coming from the other side of the room. Two beams of lights coming from a long corridor.

A small-voiced followed behind. "You know I'm not even mad, it feels just like old times." Instinctively Jack tried to place himself between the lights and his people. Before he could say anything there was what sounded like a loud click. A moment of disorientating blinding light that now flooded the room. When everyone was able to see properly there stood two people behind a set of torches. A short blond girl and a tall thin man with brown hair. Both looking as if Christmas had come early, rushing into the room.

"Jack" the man screamed before embracing him in a large hug. The moment he let go the girl did the same. Jack must have known them because his reaction to them had been the same.

Jack turned to every, introducing everyone by one. "Ianto, Gwen, Sally this these are some old friends of mine."

But before Jack could finish the man was shaking everyone's hand. "Hi, nice to meet you, I'm John Smith and this is Rose Tyler. Brilliant to meet you all." He then turned to face Jack when he was done introducing himself. His broad smile slightly fading now. "Not to be rude, but how on Earth did you get here."

"Your guess is as good as mine," Jack said with a shrug. As Jack explained what had happened before he began to fiddle with the vortex manipulator on his wrist. As everyone was focused on this man and whatever he was doing to Jack's wrist no one noticed the Master come back into the room.

He gently grazed her back with his knuckles to catch her attention. "Who is that" He whispered in her ear making her jump slightly. This caused everyone to turn to face them.

"Where did you go?" Jack asked, wrist still being held by John.

He pointed a finger to the lights. "I figured there should be some kind of switch for the lights." He then pointed down the hall. "I was just right down there." As he spoke to Jack his eyes didn't leave the man. He had long let go of Jack's wrist and was staring at the man just as intently before breaking into a large grin once more.

He moved his way past everyone, re-introducing himself. As he spoke his name the Master chucked to himself. A small grin formed at the corner of his mouth. That was until he took his hand. The twinkle in his eye and the grin failed. He stood there staring at hand for a long time.

John spoke up. "Um, do you think, perhaps I can get my hand back?" he gave him a week smile as he glanced at both of there hands back up at him.

"Oh, right, pardon" the master let go of his hand. He then began to chuckle once more. "Oh, do forgive me. Where are my manners? I'm Dr. Damien Scott. Now all of this is a bit. Well, a bit odd. Did Jack tell you what happened? Because frankly, I haven't got a clue. One minute we are just standing around next we are. Well, I'm not exactly sure where we are." he began to look around as if he was trying to make sense of it all. "We can't be as lucky to have run into someone who may know what's going on have we?"