chapter 19

Sally made her way to the hub with a cup of coffee. She found she was finally settled in. Having a routine of grabbing a coffee and a pastry before going into work. She had also moved from the hotel to a flat that was in the same complex as the Master. It was an incredible coincidence that the same day she had come to visit him, the lady a few doors down from him had a family emergency, asking him to look after the fat when she was gone.

So, not wanting to be bothered, he asked Sally to stay there. The lady did have good taste in furnishings. She had light pastel blue walls with a number of hanging house plants that gave an airy life to the room. The sofa was soft and comforting. The more she thought to about it, the more she realized there was little she would want to change about the place, and if she had been in charge in the first place the end result would have been very close to this.

When she set down at the hub she noticed Jack frowning as he eyed his newspaper intensely. "Morning, Jack," Sally called out, hoping to distract him from whatever was bothering him. But he merely waved his hand at her. He then got up and made his way to his office without another word.

Gwen and Ianto came in a few minutes after Jack disappeared. They nearly had enough time to exchange their normal pleasantries before Jake came back into the room. "Sally, can you go home real fast?" She gave him a look, about to open her mouth to respond. "I need you to get Damien over here. I have a question for him."

She tilted her head as she considered his request. "Why do I need to go all the way home for that?"

"Because we have no other way of contacting him." Everyone looked at him as if he had sprouted a second head. "Has anyone else been able to get ahold of him indirectly?" he said defensively.

Sally walked up holding a phone up, placing it next to Jake's ear. A moment later he later he had a surprised look in his eyes. Not taking his eyes off Sally. "No, this isn't Sally, this is Jack." He put his hand up for the phone as Sally took a step back. "There is something I wanted to show you. Would you mind coming in? ...Okay, see in a few." He hung the phone up a second later before handing the phone back to her. "He gave you his phone number... He has a phone?"

"Yes, why wouldn't he? We work together, after all." Now it was Sally that everyone else was staring at.

Jack folded his hand together as he watched her. "I have known him for a little over two years and he never gave us a phone number. In fact, when I asked for his number he told me he didn't have a phone. You have known him for only three months and you're telling me he gave you a phone number to a phone he supposedly doesn't have?"

Sally had not realized that the number he'd given her was meant to be a secret. She felt like a ton of bricks hit the bottom of her stomach. How mad at her was he going to be? Then she noticed Jack's face. He had a look as he watched her. She began to worry when he broke into a large grin and looked over Sally's head to Gwen and Ianto.

Ianto rolled his eyes at him. "That doesn't prove anything.

Gwen had the same smile as Jack had on. "I don't know. I think it says something."

Sally quickly turned to face them. "No, wait-what?" She began to put together what they were implying and became very uncomfortable.
Ianto pointed at her frantically. "See, she's right. Even if there is something, her having his number doesn't prove anything. You haven't won anything."

He shook his head. "I'm one of his best friends and I don't have his number. This is the next best thing to walking in on them snogging."

Sally's face turned red. "No!" she insisted, but at this point no one seemed to be paying attention to her input on her own life. She threw her hands up at them. "Don't I get a say in this?" she asked, looking to Gwen for some backup.