John The Meh Husband Laurens

I wanted to do this before August came because that month is going to be entirely dedicated to me making you suffer :D

Happy times.

I started reading about John historically nearly a year ago, and I'm still learning new things about him all the time and my perception of things keep changing, like when I used to think that John's death wasn't on purpose.

Those were good times.

And y'all know I love John, I adore him, but just like every person he had flaws and made errors and did shitty things, and I think it's time we start talking about those things, so this chapter is a rewrite of a pretty old chapter called "John The Not Bad Husband Laurens" and explain why John wasn't the worse husband, but also wasn't the best (Well, mostly this is just a summary of their relationship), and Martha definitely deserves her own protection squad too.

So y'all know the basics: John and Martha were friends, John slept with her possibly because his boyfriend Francis broke up with him and he's an emotionally unstable fuck, he accidentally got her pregnant because condoms were not a thing back then, and then he proceeded to avoid her as much as he could (which definitely suggests he didn't enjoy his time with Martha as much as his internalized homophobia wished he would) until they had to get married.

John married her out of pity, as he wrote to his uncle, and probably felt guilty of getting her pregnant. The least he could do was marry her so she and the child wouldn't get shamed by a shitty society, which he did.

Then he left to America before his daughter was born

John had expressed his wishes to go fight in the war since before he had to get married to Martha and his marriage didn't seem to stop him for long.

As I said in the original chapter John tried to bring his wife and child to America but for obvious reasons that wasn't a good idea and Martha's father didn't let it happen.

As y'all know, John didn't tell Hamilton about his wife and child even when he was at risk of dying at a fucking duel in which Hamilton was his second and would've to deal with all that shit if he did die. I also don't think he ever spoke about her with anyone else in America.

Martha wrote to John way more frequently than John wrote to her and would often send her letters via Henry (I find it hilarious that both Martha and Hamilton did this at one point or another) and then his dad would scold him for not writing to her more often.

When John was in France arguing for money and ships he made no attempt to visit her, Martha did try to reach John but she found out too late and by the time she arrived John was already gone.

Martha would die a few months later.

And honestly, Martha didn't ask for this. She didn't ask to get pregnant by a closeted gay man, she didn't ask to marry an absent husband, and she didn't ask to die before she could see him again and I most definitely ask for a #MarthaProtectionSquad

Extra: 200% self indulgent though probably inaccurate drawing of little Frances