A Lovely Description

"Laurens' intrepid spirit was coupled with a self-distrust, a confiding weakness of temper, which awakened in his friends surprise and love," "While to the others his heart was all kindness and benevolence, he was unjust only to himself; and while the world saw him graced with every virtue, he was still aspiring to some higher excellence,— and ideal perfection, which is denied to our nature, and exists only in the warm conceptions of a mind deeply tinged with romance."

—written by John Church Hamilton on his biography of his father.

Y'all John Church I–named–my–son–Laurens Hamilton was the first John Laurens fanboy and you can't convince me otherwise.

Also I found this while scrolling through the John Laurens tag on Tumblr and I love it.

On the subject of abolitionism, you know I talked about this a while ago, but I still wish John's other qualities– like being an abolitionist– would be more noticed than his sexuality

On the subject of abolitionism, you know I talked about this a while ago, but I still wish John's other qualities– like being an abolitionist– would be more noticed than his sexuality. Yes he was gay and that's amazing because queer history is amazing but that doesn't mean we get to ignore everything else.

Anyway, headcanon time: John loving Pit bulls and fighting anyone who dares to say they're evil, yes or no?