White Savior Complex

Remember when I said we would start talking more about John's flaws? Yeah, I ain't done with that shit.

From his writing, we can tell John truly thought slaves could be capable of doing great things if they were free, and saw them as equal beings.

That being said, he also seemed to have... how to put it nicely?

A white savior complex.

While he saw slaves as equals, he also seemed to have the mentality that he was being a wonderful person by helping the poor, mistreated slaves be free. An example of this mentality can be seen on this letter he sent to his father concerning the black regiment:

"You will ask in this view how do you consult the benefit of the Slaves—I answer that like other men, they are the Creatures of habit, their Cowardly Ideas will be gradually effaced, and they will be modified anew—their being rescued from a State of perpetual humiliation—and being advanced as it were in die Scale of being will compensate the dangers incident to their new State."

John Laurens was no Thomas Jefferson, he didn't go around saying that black people were inferior than white, but he still seemed to perceive slaves as creatures in need of rescue. Which is most definitely not the best of mentalities. We also gotta understand that John wasn't an abolitionist his entire life, those views started flourishing mostly after he went to Europe. And it seems like that  old mentality of his wasn't 100% eradicated.

*Extra*

This salty meme is dedicated to Iluvmehdedgayson because their memes are the saltiest tea I've ever seen

If you're wondering why this meme is so shitty is because I literally came up with it at 6 a.m

m