Chapter Twenty Six

Alex Pov
I tried to ignore the pain in my wrist as John and I quickly maneuvered through the vents.

It felt like hours of us mindlessly going forward into darkness, and the small space was starting to get to me.

I started to come to a stop as I saw the bars to a vent, light shining through, hitting the vent above it.

"Alex? Why are we stopping?" John asked.

"I found the end." I said.
"Oh! Fucking finally." He muttered.

We hopped down to next the bars of the vent. John put his string, candle and barber clippers down next to him.

"Aight, So I'm going to break the glass this time. Using my elbow, not my fucking hand." He said.

I scoffed, rolling my eyes.
That was most definitely a shot at me.

He started to burn a hole in the Plexiglas.He broke it, shattering the glass. We took turns sawing the vent.

Soon enough, the vent broke.
But what surprised John and I, was that instead of leading us outside, there was another vent tunnel.

"Wait what the fuck?" He said, purely out of shock.

"..Maybe we should keep going?"
I suggested.

"...Right." He muttered.

I went down into the next tunnel and once I did, I heard a huge air conditioning blowing vigorously.

I wasn't in the vent anymore, we were next to the AC.

"John!"
I exclaimed.

I slowly stood up, careful not to be hit but any fan blade. There wasn't one.

"What?" He asked, coming down into the air conditioning compartment with me.

"Oh damn."
He said, once again from shock.

"Do we just like..
push the top off of it?"
I asked.

"I mean..
Yeah, I think so."
John replied.

We started to push the top of it off.
My arm was aching and I could feel blood slowly trickling down into my armpit.

I heard John gasp.

"Alex! The sides! Push on the side!"
He exclaimed.

I did as I was told and was immediately hit was a sliver of light.

John and I started basically punching the thing, me with my good arm, and him just ruthless destroying the thing.

Then it came loose.

Light poured and the cool air of January hitting us almost instantly.

John and I were frozen in shock.

Our frozen state was over quickly as John and I began smiling, then laughing.

He hugged me, both of us laughing from our success. He let go, and practically sprinted up and out of the air conditioning compartment.

He held a hand out for me, which I took and pulled myself out.

We stood on the top of the building, seeing the sun, feeling the breeze.

We ran around on the building, laughing and going nuts, almost like some sort of celebration.

"This is fucking amazing!
We did it Alex!
We fucking did it!"
John exclaimed, pulling me into a hug with him again.

"We need to go soon before the guards realize we're gone and sound the alarm." I said.

He nodded.

"...so how do we get down?"
John asked, his smile faltering.

"Do you want to try..climbing?"
I asked.

"What other option do we have?" He muttered.

"Not sure." I said.

We stood in silence.
Neither of us had planned out how to get off the roof.

My eyes scanned the rooftop until they landed on a metal ladder, attached to the building.

"John."
I said, nudging him and pointing to the ladder.

He smiled and jogged over there, making sure the ladder was sturdy and such.

I watched him slowly go down the building, one step of the ladder at a time. Soon enough, he jumped off at the bottom of the ladder and was standing on the ground, a smile plastered on his face.

I followed after him, my arm going through immense pain as I went down. Having to stretch then bend my arm was not doing so great on my wrist.

Like John, I jumped off of the ladder and onto the ground.

We didn't hold a conversation while we sprinted to the fence, scaling it quickly.

We both stopped and slowly took our time so we didn't get shocked at the top, but as soon as that was over, we were back to sprinting to the gate.

"Do we have a key for this?" John asked, gesturing towards the gate.

"I don't think so." I replied.

We both looked back at the fence and I thought,

'I've never climbed a fence that high before!'

But next thing I knew I was climbing the tall ass fence.

My arm felt like it was twisted in the wrong direction and someone kept kicking it over and over as I climbed the fence, but I didn't complain.

And then, just like that, we were out of prison. It was almost...easy.

Standing on the outside, I realized there was no doubt that we had been caught on camera and would be all over the news.

But right now, the first thing John and I did, was get the hell out of there.

We didn't even bother looking back.