Chapter 2 - Close Encounter

I awoke to the morning reveille of the sun mustering it's rays for the day's mission; disappointed that I was still 'here', wherever 'here' was. All I knew it wasn't where I reckoned I should be. I don't belong here. An uneasy trepidation crept in. What if I really am stranded in history? Can I change its course; or has my presence in the past already been accounted for in the future? I sat still a moment, realizing that if I really believed God was omniscient; then He knew where I was and maybe it didn't matter after all?

Any how! The task ahead seemed insurmountable. I had to find clothing and food; and with no plan of how to do so, I tried not to panic. It wasn't working though! Feeling overwhelmed and very afraid, I just laid there and cried. There didn't seem to be anything else I could think to do at that moment.

Suddenly, I heard the skittleing of stones rolling and bouncing down the hill. I knew they weren't very far away, so I moved with caution. I crawled over to a small crevice in the direction I figured this loose earth was skipping to. I hoped it was just an animal, though at that point, I'd wished I had a gun.

I grabbed my binoculars as I quietly crept up on the mysterious noise. Peeking around the rocks, I saw a man on the ledge below me about a hundred feet away. I peered at him through the scope of high power definition. He was unarmed and dressed very plainly; but also apparently having always been a civilian, for he had absolutely no knowledge of how to execute a covert mission. Well, you're certainly not a threat. I chuckled at his innocent un-stealthiness, as he glanced in my direction and then panned the horizon for something he didn't seem quite certain of.

He carried a satchel over his shoulder, which he took off and laid on a rock. His demeanor was calm as he stood, seemingly waiting for something? He glanced back in my direction one last time, before walking away from the satchel. I watched until he was all the way to the bottom and heading back toward the city.

I wondered who he was and how he seemed to know I was here? I must be within the time frame of the writing of the New Testament; I reasoned, because if I wasn't, no-one would have received any revelation that I even existed. This man must have somehow been directed by God, I finally decided; so therefore he must be trustworthy.

With a deep breath and some newly encouraged reassurance, I went to check out this satchel. Crawling down into a place where I could see it better, yet still cautious; I picked up a rock and threw it at this mysterious bag. It landed with a dull thud in the middle of the sack and since nothing happened, I was pretty confident it didn't contain any surprises. Relieved that the prospects looked good, I crawled down the rest of the way, retrieved the satchel and climbed back up into my hiding place.

Curiosity was now eating my brain, as I sat fiddling with the latchets, seeming nearly desperate to get them apart. I was finally successful and carefully opened the bag for my first peek at it's contents: clothing, food, and an animal skin bottle of some sort. How could this be I marveled, now even a little frightened by such unexpected details. All my needs were in this bag and how, or why was just beyond my comprehension.

Once I could finally stop perseverating over how this satchel came into my possession, I was ready to take the next step. I hurriedly exchanged my clothes and crept back down the hill toward the road. I paused for one last minute, contemplating eating this little meal before I abandon the bag altogether. The food seemed good and there was plenty of it. I was just too nervous to get it into my mouth and passed the fear of choking on it. A little voice kept advising me to calm down, slow down and take it easy; but I didn't want to listen. Finally, with a deep breath and the goading of a little recognized virtue called common sense, I quieted enough to sit and eat breakfast.

After I finished, I came to the conclusion that this little reprieve really was a good idea, for now I felt better. I wasn't necessarily less antsy, but at least I could think more clearly. I sat a while pondering whether I should go into the city to see if I could locate this man, or just wait for him to return? After all, he was the one who knew where I was; I didn't know where he was. The answer was obvious, so I sat and waited.