Chapter 29 - Father Forgive Them

The procession to the execution site passed right before us as Bomani and I waited to see what orders we'd be given. The other two men condemned to death that day, were being assembled just outside the prison house; having had... assistance to pick up their cross beams. One endured a little more fierce of a flogging than the other; (apparently according to the poor disposition of attitude he presented) and both subsequently tied to their respective yolks to be marched off to Golgotha.

[Go find someone to carry his patibulum.] Horatio ordered Bomani as he twirled his finger around the crowd. [Any one of these useful idiots will work.]

[Yes sir.] Bomani answered as he hopped off his step and ran toward the prison house.

Right in his path, another African was escorting two boys across the pavement. Bomani grabbed the confused foreigner and pushed him toward the pick up site; while his children scrambled out of the way. Well, I guess they can't accuse Bomani of racial profiling. I smirked as ..... Simon picked up the cross beam and followed where Bomani's spear was pointing. It seemed they.... spoke the same language? Bomani slapped Simon on the back.

Interesting. I observed.

Horatio then pointed to me and the pile of clothing on the step behind me. I picked them up. Apparently I was on laundry detail. Horatio snatched the sandals and tossed them on the ground; with the instruction that he expected Jesus to put them on.

Well.... that was less than successful, in as soon as Jesus attempted to bend down to latch them; He toppled over and couldn't quite figure out how to get back up. He'd managed to tie one sandal while I tied the other, before Horatio helped haul Him back to His feet.

Cornelius was approaching as he directed soldiers to clear the path. He paused a moment and looked at Jesus.

[I...I..guess you were right.] His voice cracked.

Cornelius quickly turned away to busy himself with finding more soldiers to yell at. I guess I wasn't the only one around here that... didn't want to let them see me cry.

Simon drudged over, followed by the encouragement of Bomani's spear, as he defiantly dropped the cross beam on the pavement next to us. He took one look at me and than wobbly Jesus; before he stooped down to voluntarily stand it up again.

Who are you? Simon's eyes searched as if he vaguely recognized Jesus.

Pontius Pilate has been trying to figure that one out all morning. I almost laughed as I looked at Simon. Who are you? I'm not sure either? I peered at Jesus as He slowly turned back toward me. 'Dead man walking'; the phrase stuck in my mind. Another day at the office in any man's army; file some papers, load a supply truck, pull some enemy POW out of a hole in the Saudi desert;... crucify Jesus Christ.

'Thank you for your service.' God I hate it when people say that!

I followed Horatio and Cornelius as they barked orders at soldiers working diligently to police the masses on the road to Golgotha. We'd transversed the pavement, down two sets of stairs on the western side of Antonia and back into the court of the gentiles. From there, we walked the north end of the temple onto another road that lead through what was called 'The Triple Gate' in the eastern side of the city, to the 'Red Heifer Bridge'.

I followed Jesus, who followed Horatio and Cornelius; all followed by Simon, Bomani, the two thieves and whatever all other dregs of humanity decided to join this parade. We transversed this bridge single file, while soldiers kept the crowds at bay as; well as from slowing us down.

Abby Road to Golgotha. The thought drifted through my mind as the opening bars of 'The Long and Winding Road' began to play. It seemed like an odd paradox to me, to be 'in a hurry' to an execution; but Jesus seemed pretty intent that He was going to get there before He passed out in the road.