Chapter 37 - Risen in Deed!

The welcome cool of evening was approaching, as I snuck off to some corner of the garden to escape the incessant tantrums of Nicodemus's grandson. The child was beside himself; inconsolably wandering the house looking for his mother. Nicodemus tried to calm him; and so did Joseph, Ignatius, Helina, and most of the female members of Ignatius's household. Even Cornelius lent his attempts, but all the tike did was scream in terror at the sight of the military men.

This rather confused us all, for we were certain it wasn't Roman soldiers who were guilty of this crime; but what about Herod's private guard? Horatio raised the question to Cornelius. I'd recalled from Jesus trial, that they all appeared to be clad in maybe older surplus military garb? Change the color of the tunic underneath and they could pass as Roman soldiers; especially to a terrified 4 year old.  

The streets were getting chaotic again as Cornelius had gone to report these new developments to Pilate; as well as apparently wishing to escape the child's screeching. I could tell from their reactions, that they suffered much in the same way I did from the noise. Soldiers with PTSD and screaming children usually don't make good combinations.

I had stood upon the roof earlier that day and watched this witch hunt brewing in the city; as what basically looked like small groups of thugs slinked from house to house searching for Galileans. I'd supposed.  Soldiers were deployed to disperse anyone who appeared to be assembling for nefarious reasons and if this wasn't quite Pilate's version of martial law; I could tell we were getting close.

The day vacillated between boisterous and calm. Yet once again, soldiers were out in the streets herding the sheeple. Yes, there was stir being made of the bodies found in the priestly apartment; but more of what the commoners sought, was this tomb Roman soldiers were posted to guard. There had been multiple passersby I'd noted, as priests and members of the Sanhedrin lurked about for those they could 'scold' for their tomb seeking curiosity. Nothing to see here! Move along! The sound bites of 1st Century CNN announced; as they tried to distract the masses from the more notable murder they had committed.

Once again, my mind commenced wandering, and... of all things, back to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. Now how pathetic would it have been if a bunch of southern black church leaders brought Martin Luther King to the police in Mississippi and said: "Here take this man, he's creating problems."

The police then tell them: "Don't worry, we'll give the boy a good whopping!" After this, the masses convince the Mississippi authorities to lynch King. The police ask: "You want us to lynch your leader?" And they all scream: "We have no leader but Jefferson Davis!" Now how whacked would that be??? I cynically laughed. Yeah, but that is exactly what happened to Jesus!

Things seemed to have quieted as (now after 3 hours)  Nicodemus's grandson; Isaiah, had managed to scream himself into not much more than a whimper. I saw them as I entered the dinning room in search of some thing that resembled fruit. Joseph was holding the child, as Ignatius attempted to comfort an exhausted and frazzled Pharisee who was once again trying desperately to control his own tears.

[Come on.] Ignatius instructed as he turned Nicodemus around and physically directed him out of the dinning room. [We will look after the boy while you get some sleep.]

Poor fellow. I thought to myself. The cost of discipleship was already exacting it's toll.

Dark seemed to be quickly descending, as I paced restlessly planning and pondering how I was going to get to the tomb. Helina seemed more interested in... or maybe of access to... me, as the fellas were all involved in their own planning and pondering of 'who done it'; and how to get Nicodemus, Joseph and little Isaiah out of the city. They were counting on the dark to aide them, as it seemed Ignatius had instructed some of his servants to gather provisions, that were now to near full muster on the dinning room table.