Chapter 36 - Pilate's Red Pill

I awoke with a start, jumped out of my 'bed' (actually off a couch of sorts) and scurried down the stairs. Don't tell me I missed it. No. NO! I didn't sleep through it - did I? Please tell me I didn't sleep through the resurrection! I stood panicked, as I stared across the atrium and the many doors that flanked it's space.

A familiar form emerged from one of the rooms; scurrying across the floor chasing some rolling object. It was Nicodemus's grandson; except his hair had been cut and he was wearing a Roman toga. 

Next form to come chasing him was..... a shorter, thicker version of Ignatius? I did a double take before I realized; no, that's actually Nicodemus. He too was clad in Roman apparel with shorter hair and a shaven face. Apparently too, some of the women had taken hold of him; as his hair was dyed.

The escape plan had been hatched it seemed; when it suddenly dawned on me - yeah, it was still Saturday.

Following Nicodemus, emerged Horatio and another centurion whom I didn't recognize: or did I? I began to question as I inched closer.

[But I'm not a soldier.] He complained.

[You will learn to be well enough to pull this off.] Horatio answered. [We will help you. Once we get to Caesarea; a ship will take you to Crete. From there Ignatius's son-in-law Jamal will come find you; you can be a civilian again and Jamal will take you and Nicodemus from there to Hispania; than on to Britannia, if you wish to go that far?]

[The good faith of God will be with us.] Nicodemus reassured as he picked up his grandson and walked toward the other two men. [The book says the gospel of Christ will spread. I'm sure the Holy Ghost will find us.] He chuckled a bit.

[OK, come on.] Cornelius motioned as he was the next to emerge from the family's informal dining hall. [You get a crash course in how to guard him.] He gestured at Nicodemus as this other .... centurion followed he and Horatio.

Fascinating. I observed as I watched Joseph tag along behind the other two. He was taller, older and more stately than Nicodemus and in another life, I could have almost imagined him being a soldier. 

Cornelius requested Horatio's sword as he stood in the hall, halfway between the atrium's exit and garden's entrance. He began to swing it, doing tricks of sorts to demonstrate it's balance. He handed it to Joseph, who took up the demonstrated stance and began to practice. He was a quick study, I noted as he followed the instructions, as well as inquiring of useful questions.

[Because of your age, no one will expect you to do much soldiering; but you will have to know basics. He will go with you.] He pointed to Horatio. [And I will go ahead of you. We still have to secure lodging and a place to hide you two. Word will spread fast; it's already started.]

[OK] Joseph sighed soberly. [So what do you want me to learn?]

[The most important lesson you are going to learn from us; is how to kill someone if you have to.]

[Yes, very important skill to have.] Horatio added. [It's all in the mindset.]

Joseph sucked in a breath. [OK.] He nodded.

They continued talking as my attention turned toward Nicodemus and his grandson. All three looked very different in their emerging transformation into Romans.

"Deus." Nicodemus rehearsed with his grandson. "Deus."

"Avus" - "Avus"; "Miles" - "Miles"; "Hebraica" - "Hebraica"; "Salem" - "Salem".

I followed him into the dining room where I was met by another utter shock. Standing next to Ignatius; (who was pointing and reading passages out of my Interlinear Bible) was none other than... Pontius Pilate. They both looked up at me.