Chapter 46 - Difficult Dance of Discipleship

Jesus was still on the floor laughing as I got up and took my coat and boots off. I just stood a minute, arms folded looking down at Him. His laughter was contagious and I was giggling just watching Him laying there giggling. Finally He managed to amble to His feet.

"Hey, I bought some food." I suddenly remembered as I scurried over to the groceries and motioned to Him to lend a hand.

Jesus opened the first bag I handed Him and peered in at its contents as He followed me into the kitchenette. He began handing me items while I stashed them into their respective storage locals.

"I didn't know You could dance?" I giggled as He handed me the plastic bags and I stuffed them in a drawer.

He began to giggle too as He got this curious look in His eye; of some radical idea behind that look.  He suddenly spun around halfway; searching the room before He scurried over to a particular remote and started pushing buttons. The beginning of Pachelbel's Canon in D commenced from off of one of David Meece's arrangements. Jesus tossed the remote into the chair and turned to me with His hands out.

"Huh?" I looked at Him a bit apprehensively.

Come here. He motioned.

"Oh NO!" I started shaking my head as I waved my hands in front of me. I can't dance. You gotta know that!

A couple more bars of music passed and apparently Jesus was ignoring my protest, as He'd already grabbed my hand and pulled me toward Him.

"I do. You learn." He confidently declared as I shot Him a leery look.

That sounded a bit 'imperative mood' to me. I grimaced in protest. "Please leave me alone." I meekly pleaded, but to no avail.

"Is not hard, even you do." He smirked as He took hold of my one elbow and my other hand. "You learn this." He nodded encouragingly.

"Er..Kay." I growled disapprovingly.

The dramatic music tapered off and David Meece began to sing.

Deep within, this darkened heart of mine.

The word of God still shines...with hope.

Deep within, this frightened life I live.

A voice, so soft and still.... grows.

The words stuck in my ears as we started with a couple of basic steps across the floor.

When the sun is hidden, and the shadows cloud my starless skies,

Amazingly, I turn and see a light.

The music crescendoed and Jesus began to move.

God's promises are rainbows in the night.

Shining hope in sight, when shadows cloud my eyes,

His promises are rainbows in the night, guiding through the darkest time.

God's promises are rainbows in the night.

The music slowed again and all I could think is: This isn't fair, You got better rhythm than I do. Jesus just looked at me and giggled. Come on - I know you know the song.

Looking back, on all the roads I've known.

The echos are the songs, I've sung.

Looking back, there's a thread of love and grace.

Connecting each line in space, I've known.