Chapter 38 - Good Morning... Pontius Pilate?

I stood a few minutes longer, watching the direction my beloved had danced off in; as the angelic song and Scripture passage drifted through my ears and out of my mind. The last thing I ever expected to come to me, upon witnessing the resurrection, was the Song of Solomon? Strangely enough though, it seemed to fit. I pondered while I peered one last time at the grave.

Helina came to mind, when I noticed the soldiers were starting to stir. I quickly retreated back to the steps of the other tomb, while I watched their attempts to collect themselves. As soon as they noticed the stone was rolled away and the grave really empty; they were absolutely panic stricken. They quickly gathered up their weapons, lanterns; plus comrades and fled into the city.   

I waited till they were out of sight, before wandering back into the path; when I heard another rustling soul coming through the trees. I swung around, only to catch a glimpse of some curious onlooker drawing near. I ran behind a rock of the adjacent tomb, while this stranger hurried up the road.

I peeked out to see who it was and much to my surprise; I recognized her. It was Mary Magdalene. What's she doing here now? I pondered a moment as I noticed she was alone. I was about to emerge from my cover, when she stopped and with a stunned look of shocked panic; stumbled around in a few small circles (as if searching for someone) and suddenly ran away.

"Where you going?" I mumbled while emerging from behind my rock. Mary, come back here! I wanted to yell as I stood pointing. He, He.... He went that way!

Helina hadn't awoken yet and I didn't really know what to do, as I walked out into the narrow path right next to this infamous now empty grave. I glanced back over my shoulder wondering what's next? I really wanted to go find Jesus, but wasn't sure that would be a good idea. He obviously left before Mary arrived and for good reason; of being freshly apprehended of life and also... only barely dressed.

More pondering grabbed my attention as I recollected the presence of this towering angel, whom the young fellow had so promptly volunteered his cloak to: And these wailing cries that rang through the air moments before, nearly blending unnoticeably with the rush of voices chorusing from heaven. Was being raised from the dead thus so confounding, or ... climatic? After all, I'd never heard any human being make a sound quite like that before.  And could that have been the reason no mortal was ... ehh...suppose .. (or rather recorded);  to have witnessed this?

I had to think about that one for a moment. After all, it did seem logical that... open all cylinders full throttle; flood the system; reintroduce these charged components freshly delivered from death and hell; hit the switch and.... what reaction would one expect from an uncorrupted body and sinless soul? If Jesus had been ignorant of... such things prior, didn't seem to me that He was now! I nervously snickered, not sure if I should be embarrassed or... happy for Him?

Well? I sucked in a breath as my attention turned back toward the tomb. Ehh, speaking of reproduction? I leaned over and peered in, as my mind tracked down a different path.  

I started to wonder if this had something to do with being 'first born from the dead'? Was this grave the womb His Father used to birth Him from His earthly life into the full fledged reality of successful Redeemer? I scratched my head as I glanced behind me almost expecting to see Jesus come skipping back up the path. That would actually be funny. I giggled. I don't know though? I shrugged while watching the darkness for any signs of movement. Either way, the analogy seemed to fit. You are my Son; this day I have begotten You.

My pondering was suddenly interrupted by the high pitched squeal of a panicked woman's voice as I caught a glimpse of a flash of light emanating from the tomb. I scurried off behind the nearest hiding place, when I saw them coming back. Mary Magdalene was blathering a mile a minute, while the other woman didn't seem too phased by her panic. Wait a minute? I squinted at the second soul. Is that.... Jesus's mother?