Chapter Fourteen - Diggory

Digory looked at his sister one last time before disappearing into the woods. It wasn't long until he wasn't in the woods, he was in between coats and on a wooden floor. He looked around the dark place before opening the door in front of him and saw his grandfathers study. He took a step down and looked around seeing his reflection in the window. His eyes widened seeing he was the same boy he was all those years ago. He was 14 again.

"Digory? What are you doing in here?" His father asked walking into the study. "Shouldn't you be playing outside?" He asked and he looked around.

"Uh, yes, I was just.. hiding from William" He said as a little part of him had hoped that since he was back and a little boy again that his siblings were back as well and younger.

"William? Is he another one of you imaginary friends?" He asked Digory and Digory looked at his father confused. "Don't let your mother know you still have imaginary friends, you know how she'll react" He said going over to his desk.

"But William's my brother, don't you remember?" He asked confused as to how he could forget his own son.

"You have a different imaginary friend every week Digory how am I supposed to keep up hm?" He asked not looking up from his paper work. "Wasn't last weeks Lance or something? He was apparently your brother too, tell me Digory. How many brothers do you have in that head of yours?" Digory was extremely confused. Imaginary friends? Imaginary brothers? He knew he had brothers and sisters, he knew everything he had gone through the past 7 years was real. How come he was a boy now? Was this all a dream? No it couldn't be, he refused to believe it. He wouldn't forget, he couldn't. If he did then their deaths would be in vain... all of theirs.

Not answering his father he ran out of the room and down the hall. He turned the corner and stopped his eyes widening. The table and vase he had broken was fixed, like nothing had ever happened to it. What was going on? His head swirled with different possibilities, so many different scenarios that it made his head hurt.

He took off running again but stopped when he looked at the family photo that hung on the wall. His eyes went so wide in shock as he looked at the picture. It was of him, his father, his mother, Jadis and Elizabeth. Lance, William and Penny seemed to have been erased from history. He took out the picture from his pocket that was the same exact picture just smaller. The picture in his hand had all of them, William, Penny and Lance included.

He took a step back his eyes still wide and his breathing quickening. William, Penny and Lance died in Narnia so they were erased from history here. It was like they never existed here. He also felt relief because the picture in his head confirmed that everything that happened in Narnia, that Narnia itself was real.

He looked back to the picture seeing that Jadis and Elizabeth was still in the picture meaning that they were still alive. As the years passed by he continued to look at the picture waiting for one of them to disappear meaning that they had died in Narnia. However, every time he passed by he saw them both alive which made him both relieved and anxious.

He wondered how Narnia was doing? He wondered how much it had changed. He wondered how his sister was doing and if she was close to killing Jadis. He wondered if Jadis had taken control of Narnia completely. How much time had passed in Narnia? How was everyone doing?

As the years passed and he got older and older he never once forgot a single thing about Narnia. He never forgot his brothers and sisters. He never forgot the pain of his sisters betrayal. He never forgot the pain he felt when he realized his brothers and Penny were dead because of his sister Jadis. He never forgot his sister Elizabeth. He never forgot her or any of them. He kept true to what he had promised her, he never forgot them. He knew if he forgot then it would be like insulting them and their memory.

Every time he was with his parents growing up he felt sick that they had completely forgotten Lance, William and Penny. Though it wasn't their fault, he still never forgave them for forgetting. When his parents finally did die he mourned harder than he ever had. He didn't just mourn for them but he mourned for his fallen siblings. He never had the time to properly mourn his siblings deaths so when his parents died he mourned for all of them. He mourned for Narnia as well, for the fact that he may never return, never see his sister again. It pains him every time he thinks about it but no matter how much it hurts he makes sure he doesn't stop thinking about it.

When he had returned to Narnia things were different. His mother wasn't as strict or cold, she was just distant. He found out that Jadis and Elizabeth had gone missing a few years before and never found. But he knew where they were, he knew the truth but he also knew that he could never tell anyone. Not even his mother who mourned daily at the thought of her missing girls. He hated himself for not telling her but he knew she wouldn't understand. He knew that she wouldn't believe him and that it would just make things worse. So he kept everything to himself.

A few years after his return from Narnia Digory lost it. He wanted to go back, he hated London. He hated being around his mourning mother who blamed him for his sisters disappearance. He hated being around his father who seemed to be a drunk and love the company of other women.

So at night when his parents were asleep he was in his grandfathers study. He would sit in front of the wardrobe wondering how to get back to Narnia. He did everything he could think of but he was never allowed back in. It hurt him that he couldn't go back and it killed him on the inside. One night he was sitting in front of the wardrobe and just broke down crying. He couldn't take the pain of not going back, he couldn't take the pain of his siblings death, of Jadis betrayal of everything. He just couldn't take it.

He went into a deep depression for the longest time not knowing how to pull himself out and when his parents died it only made it worse. He cleared out everything of his parents. Everything except for the wardrobe. Even in his old age he tried to go back to Narnia. He wanted, he needed to return. As he grew older, he grew wiser. Time allowed him to heal and over time he accepted everything. He accepted the fact that most of his family was dead. He accepted the fact that there was no way for him to return to Narnia. Once he found acceptance he finally found peace. Once he found peace he found just how lonely he was so he hired a woman to help him around the house. It was a large house and he needed help to keep it together.

A few years after hiring the woman the war broke out. Not long after the war broke out the word spread that the children of England needed a place to stay in the country. A safe place to stay. He knew that he needed to take in a family of children. He knew that it would be what his family would want him to do. If he couldn't safe his family, he was going to protect another's.

Digory sent word that he would take in a family no matter how big and no matter how small. He had the room for any sized family and would welcome them. It wasn't long until he got word back that he would be getting a family of 4 children. 2 boys and 2 girls, the Pevensie's.