Chapter 32

I wake the next morning to the ringing of my phone that's plugged into the wall on the nightstand. Looking at the time, I see that it's already eleven and can't believe how late I slept, before picking up my phone to see Anne's name on the screen.

It's been such a long time since I talked to her and I smile as I answer.

"Oh my goodness, did I wake you?" she asks, hearing the grogginess to my voice.

"Yeah, but it's eleven," I say. "I shouldn't be in bed still anyways. How are you?"

"Missing you actually," she sighs. "But that's not the reason for my call."

"Oh?"

She hesitates for a few moments and I wait for her to speak, now sitting up in bed, panic striking me instantly. I hope everything is okay. "Have you heard anything about your father?" she finally asks.

"No, why? What happened? Is everything alright? Is my mom okay?" The thought of something happening to my mom might actually kill me.  I can't bear Anne's hesitance. "Anne!"

"Everything is alright," she finally says, easing my mind. "Except..." she sighs again.

"Except what?"

"Your father burned down your house two days ago."

"What?" I scream. "Is he...is he okay?"

"He went back to prison."

Relief. Although I don't know if my relief is for the fact that he's okay or that he's back in prison where he belongs. Either way, I'm flooded with relief, until my head wraps around the fact that my house is burned down and I can't seem to find a coherent thought.

"You alright?" she asks.

"I think so," I answer. "I'm not sure. My house is really burnt down?"

"Nothing left but rubble."

I have a hard time figuring out how I feel about my childhood home being gone. I never had great memories there, at least for a very long time. But the idea of not actually having a home to go back to is a little disheartening. I'm not even sure I had any plans to return there, but now I have no other choice than to not.

"Still there?" she asks.

"Sorry, I was just thinking," I explain. "It's okay. I can move on from that part of my life now. And it's nice to know my father is back in prison and my mom is still okay. and for the record, I miss you too."

"But you're doing good?" she asks, allowing my change of subject. "I'm always worried about you."

"I'm really good actually," I tell her. "I was in LA for a while, got to see my friends and made some new ones and I've been back on the road almost two weeks now, and it's been really nice so far. I've seen some really great things and been to places I never knew existed and I'm stuck where I am for maybe a week, but I'm good."

"Why are you stuck?" she asks quickly. "Where are you?"

"Oklahoma. My car broke down," I explain. "So, I'm just waiting for it to get fixed and I'll be on my way again."

"Oklahoma seems so far away," she says. "Not as far as Harry, but too far for my liking. But you seem happier, so this must be what you needed."

"It is," I smile. "How is he....Harry? Is he good?"

"He said you two weren't talking," she reports. "But he seems like he's good. He's loving school. The music courses he's taking have been amazing apparently. But," she stops. "He misses you."