Chapter 33

The last few days have been nothing but nice. It's been good to just relax and have a slow pace of life, never needing to hurry anywhere, with no responsibilities. There's been a perfect fine line between getting time alone and hanging out with Tyler and I've been enjoying my stay here.

I spent some time in the auto shop, while I waited for Tyler to get off work, hanging out with Pat, the mechanic, who never hesitated to tell me how annoying I am and asked me to leave every ten minutes, which just made me want to be even more bothersome because it's fun to see how red his face gets when he's irritated with me. I know by the end of the week, he will miss my antics though, so it's all in good fun.

Tyler fixed the lock on the door to my motel room and I really paid attention to see how it was done, realizing I probably should have just let Carter teach me long ago. I realized though, that Tyler is a good teacher and I will definitely be able to change a lock the next time I have to, because of how thorough he was with me in each step.

My shyness towards him has slowly drifted away as I get to know him better. He's funny and down to earth and loves to talk. It's a mystery as to why he doesn't have a girlfriend, but I can't seem to ask the question, and luckily for me, that sort of topic hasn't come up within any of our talks and I would rather not have to answer, if he was to ask me the same question. I've been doing good with not thinking too much about Harry, but I know he's still there. And I know I still miss him.

With the auto shop closed for the weekend, I've gotten to spend it with Tyler. Yesterday he took me out of town to the city of Tulsa, where we went shopping and I spent far too much money on a whole new wardrobe. He even waited while I got a haircut and seeing the city with him was such a great experience. It made me realize how much I wish I had a friend to travel with. To go on this adventure with me. As much as I knew I needed this time for myself, the idea of actually being with someone while on this journey, sounds more appealing to me now.

Today, we relished in the shade by the pond, under the willow tree with our own loaves of bread with Tommy, as we fed the birds. It's the first time I went there with Tyler and automatically Tommy assumed he's my boyfriend, which made him think of his sweet wife Hazel.

The story he told us about his life with her was so very romantic and beautiful but tragic the way it ended. Being married to someone for seventy years, loving the same person, living for that person and their six children. It sounded like such a beautiful life. Something only dreams are made of. I hung on to every word of his story, hoping that one day I would live as long as he has and will be able to share a story like his to someone who hopes for the same thing one day.

I couldn't help the tears the streamed down my face as he told me Hazel had gotten Alzheimer's disease a few years before she passed and she didn't remember him or their children. It was heartbreaking to hear that her memory had failed her and she couldn't remember even one precious day they had shared together.

His story made me think of Harry. It made me wish that instead of sitting under that willow tree, that I was with him, as if not to waste any more days without him by my side. And there's nothing more painful than to know I'm still stuck here, my car still not fixed.

Unlike any other time I've thought of him, I picked up my phone and texted him.

To: Harry
>> I miss you.

It's been a few hours now since I sent that text, and they feel like the longest few hours, because I haven't gotten a text in return. I'm not sure what I was thinking sending it to him. Maybe I should have thought more about it before actually doing it. Because as much as it's true that I do miss him, there's a chance that he might not feel the same. A least that's what his silence is telling me right now as I regret it with each minute that passes.