Chapter 42

The idea of having to figure everything out together made it easy to move forward, now that we know we're on the same page. We took that Sunday, laying in our hotel bed, to discuss everything; what we both wanted and what we thought would work for us as a team.

Never in my life did I think that I would be planning something with someone for the future. For the longest time, I thought it would just be me, doing things for me and me alone. That's why it was so easy to go with the idea of traveling and seeing the world. I didn't really think I would go to college and build a life for myself or even be with someone. I thought I would take my Grandma's money and use it for all my travels, just like she wanted me to. God knows, I had enough to go anywhere I pleased on her dime. She made sure of that; That I could make it on my own.

But I've realized that falling in love and being with that person is far better than seeing the world alone. And while I'm sad to see the travel dream die for a little while, I know the world outside of him can wait. Because right now, he is my world. He's the reason my universe keeps on turning and I know the stars always shine brighter when we're together.

It's been two weeks already since our weekend in that hotel room and it has been two weeks of ups and downs, arguments and laughter and I wouldn't trade any of it for anything. Harry allowed for me to move into his apartment for the time being and he decided to stay at Columbia until at least the first semester is over with.

Settling into his little apartment wasn't as easy as Harry thought it would be for me. We thought it would be simple, because of the way it was at his mom's house. I fit right into their family so easily and lived there as if I had belonged. But Harry's apartment is much smaller, it's his place, and I've felt a lot of the time like I was invading the space that he made his own. Adjusting to this, for both of us, has been difficult at times and has become easy to argue about.

I've had to tour this new city more by myself than with Harry because of school. He made me promise not to see Central Park without him, and even after two weeks, we haven't made it there yet. I've done most of the tourist stuff. Went to the Statue of Liberty, the New York Public Library, Empire State Building, Top of the Rock and have walked up and down 5th Avenue about twenty times already. The list goes on, the number of things I've done without him, but I'm loving New York still and can't see myself wanting to leave any time soon.

Being here is better than anywhere else I've been so far. And that's clearly not because I'm with Harry, because he has been in classes or stuck at the studio after hours and studying much more than I thought he would be. And as much as I have been content seeing this city and experiencing it without him, I really do wish that I could be doing more of it with him.

"I think we should skip open mic tonight so I can take you out for dinner," Harry says after he's walked in the door and kissed me hello. His fingers graze the skin on my cheek as he tucks my hair behind my ear, leaning down to kiss me again. "I hope you haven't eaten yet."

"I didn't eat," I answer. My heart swells and my insides erupt at the thought that he just wants to be with me tonight. Open mic nights have been fun the last couple of weekends, I love watching Harry on stage, but I'm still not sure I fit in with his friends and I have felt more awkward than I do accepted. "I was waiting for you, you know that."

So far, I've only been out with his friends a couple of times, each at open mic nights at the coffeehouse. Only two of his friends that I met actually seem to like me and surprisingly, neither of those people is Elizabeth. I haven't mentioned my feelings about this to Harry just yet, because there could be a chance I'm just being paranoid because I was nervous to be around them. I knew they knew who I was and I was afraid of how they'd perceive me after listening to the songs he sang about me on stage. He put me on a pedestal and I didn't want them to think I don't belong there.