Chapter 40

Everything shifted the second I agreed with Harry about him staying in my hotel room with me. And maybe I realize now that it was stupid of me to think otherwise. I'm just so afraid that I'm going to mess this up, and knowing just how much time I spent on bettering myself, the last thing I want to do is fall back into that dark hole because I've gone and done something I can't take back.

By the time we walk back to my hotel, it's already two in the morning. Harry packed a back pack, stuffed it with clothes and his tooth brush and he's already changed and is laying in bed with only plaid pants on and the tv remote in his hand. He's flicking channels when I walk out of the bathroom, ready for bed, and I quite like the scene before me.

Good looking, shirtless boy in my bed, with a smile on his face as he watches me climb into the bed next to him. It's strange, us in this position. We've been in it before, yet it almost feels foreign. Brand new and exciting and it's good to feel hopeful about him again. About us. For the first time we don't have to worry about who knows if we're together. We don't have to hide. Or even care what people think about it all.

It's nice to know that none of that matters anymore. It's just him and me. And not so much the stars, now that we're in New York City. I wrap my fingers around my necklace, the necklace Harry gave to me before prom, knowing it will always be him and me and the stars no matter what, and I smile at the thought.

"I can't believe you still wear that," he says, turning himself over on his side and looks at me. "I thought you would have thrown it out the window driving down the highway or something," he laughs.

"I've never taken it off," I admit. "There were times when I felt like I should have, but I always wanted to keep you close to me, somehow."

"Says the girl who wanted to do everything on her own," he smiles.

I playfully smack his shoulder and roll my eyes. "I still did it on my own," I yawn.

"Should we turn out the light?" he asks and I scold myself for yawning. But I nod knowing that when I wake he will still be there. I don't have to stay up all night, fearing that in the morning, he'll be gone.

With the lights and the tv off, his body shifts closer to me, wrapping his arm around me. He gently presses his lips to mine and in the darkness, I can tell he is looking at me. "Jayde?" he says, quietly.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for letting me stay with you tonight," he says, letting out a breath. His hand gently starts to run up and down my back slowly and I love his touch.

"I'm sorry I was hesitant about it."

"Why were you?"

"I don't know," I shrug. "I'm afraid of fucking it all up. I know in my head, my journey's destination was never you, it was me. But I think I always knew in my heart, I always wanted to end up in New York with you. And as much as I needed to figure out who I am on my own, I also wanted to make sure I was a better person for you." I sigh.

"You.."

"Not a better person," I interrupt. "Just better. Get over everything that hurt me and not be so damn miserable. I worked so hard to get to be where I am, comfortable with myself and who I am as a whole. And I've spent so much time alone, so much time without you, I just want to make sure that we fit in each other's lives first. Before we jump right in and realize we don't."

"You'll always fit in my life, Jayde," he tells me. "I am so much better with you, than I am without you. I just hope you feel that way too."

This honest conversation gives me reason to believe that for now, everything will be just fine. As long as we keep communicating this way, I can't see why it wouldn't work. But it's only been a few hours and I don't want to think too much about it yet. All I can do is wrap my arm tightly around him, to show him just how perfectly he fits.