II. a familiar name

"LARK! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I TOLD YOU NOT TO TOUCH THE SUIT OF ARMOUR! WE HAVE GUESTS COMING TODAY! GET AWAY FROM THERE!"

I giggled as I ran away from the Macready. I wasn't this clumsy, I just enjoyed pushing the maid's buttons. But I had forgotten guests would be coming soon. Four children, if I remember correctly. They were staying during the war. Figures. Everyone was being sent away these days.

At least I hadn't been sent away since I live so far into the country.

I'd been living with my caregiver, Professor Kirke. I don't know how I had come to live with him, all I knew was that he had adopted me when I was very young.

Now fourteen, I'm not comfortable in dresses and at tea parties, as a proper young lady should be. No, I am much more comfortable in blouses and pants, outdoors. I can only hope the other children wouldn't have opposite views on such things.

About an hour later, while I was climbing a tree I saw Macready's carriage pull up. Hurrying inside, I washed the mud off my hands and face, tried to smooth down my hair, and hoped I looked presentable. I didn't put on a dress, but who cared besides the Macready? It wouldn't matter anyway since it's not like I'd be dressing up every day for our guests. Why bother?

I raced down the stairs and skidded to the stop at the bottom. Luckily, Mrs. Macready was just opening the door, so she and the children didn't see my "grand" entrance. She was already drilling the rules into their heads.

"The Professor isn't used to so many children in the house, so keep away from his study, and--DON'T TOUCH THE ARTIFACTS." she suddenly raised her voice as the oldest girl reached for a bust of some annoyed-looking old man.

Suddenly the Macready turned to me, and she seemed to forget the Pevensies for a moment.

"Lark! How many times have I told you to stop wearing those hideous trousers! A young lady like you should be wearing dresses every day now! Now, promise me I won't have to remind you again."

I sighed.

"I promise I won't...let you see."

I whispered the last part under my breath, but the children seemed to hear me. All except the eldest girl laughed, but she sent me a smile.

Mrs. Macready was too exasperated to continue, so she told me to show the children to their rooms, and left us alone.

The eldest boy had interesting hair. 

It wasn't quite brown but wasn't quite blond. He looked to be 18. The eldest girl had dark brown hair and blue eyes, she was probably around 16. Then next was a boy that looked to be about my age. He had an annoyed look on his fair face, and his brown hair shrouded his equally dark eyes. He looked as if he didn't want to be here, which I couldn't exactly blame him for. The last was a girl with auburn hair and blue eyes. They all had to be siblings.

An awkward silence ensued, none of us knowing quite what to say to each other. The eldest boy broke it.

"Well...we might as well start with introductions. I'm Peter. This is Susan, that one over there---"

"I can introduce myself!" said the dark-haired boy. Then he turned to me, and his eyes widened. I laughed quietly at his embarrassment. "I'm...I'm Ed--Edmund." Peter laughed and nudged him playfully. I pretended I hadn't noticed.

"I'm Lucy!" said the youngest girl. I took an immediate liking to her. I walked up to her and shook her hand.

"Nice to meet you all. I'm Lark." I began to climb the stairs, motioning for everyone to follow. "I'll show you to your rooms.

Once I had given them a brief tour, they all retired to their respective rooms. They had plans of exploring tomorrow, and I didn't want to get in the way. I was just starting to walk away when Peter grabbed my arm. I turned to look at him. "Yes?"

"I was just wondering if...if you wanted to join us tomorrow." I smiled awkwardly at him, not knowing how to reply. He looked at his shoes. "I'm sorry I asked, then."

"No," I said quickly. "I'd love to...thanks." He smiled nervously. and walked away quickly. I laughed to myself. These newbies didn't seem so bad after all.

A million thoughts ran through my head as I jumped into bed that night. I was so tired I fell asleep before my head hit the pillow, but not before five words rushed through my head, just like they did every night: Dirt, Water, Fire, Air, Light.

What did they mean?

A/N 

Chapter 1 complete! Hope you liked it!