IX. river rush

After another hour of walking, we made it to a hill overlooking the river.

The Pevensies seemed to be catching their second wind.

Me? Not so much.

My hands and feet were numb, snow in my hair. My nose was bright red and my lips were raw.

I was tired. Very tired.

We were just about to walk (stumble, in my case) down the hill when Susan stopped.

"Wait...maybe we should think about this," she mentioned tentatively.

"We don't have time to think." Peter snapped. Maybe they weren't as energized as I thought.

"I was just trying to be realistic..."

"No, you're trying to be smart...as always."

We continued to walk down the hill.

We got to the edge of the river. Peter made a step onto the ice, but it cracked under his feet.

"Maybe...I should go first," suggested Mr. Beaver.

"Maybe you should," I mumbled.

Mr. Beaver made his way forward and tested the ice. It didn't crack, so he made his way forward.

This is how we commenced.

"If mum knew what we were doing..." Susan mumbled.

"Mum's not here!" Peter spat. Damn. Maybe he would make a good king.

We continued across the ice.

I stared dismally at the ice, lost in my own thoughts. Suddenly, I heard the sound I least wanted to hear.

The howl of a wolf.

Aslan, could my luck get any worse?

"Oh no!" Lucy screamed. We began to run (or try to run) across the melting ice.

Unfortunately, the wolves were faster. Running ahead of us, they immediately cut us off.

I immediately began to unsheath my sword, but Peter pulled me behind him and drew his. (A/N: The BROMANCE is real lmao)

"Put that down boy, someone might get hurt." A wolf I recognized as Maugrim growled. I looked nervously to the side and saw Mr. Beaver pinned down by the wolves.

"Don't worry about me, slit his throat you two!" Mr. Beaver yelled, the wolves tightening their grips.

"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you!" growled Maugrim to Peter. I couldn't take it anymore. Rage burning inside me, I stepped out from behind Peter, who looked visibly shaken and flung myself at the wolf.

Peter hurriedly grabbed the arm holding my shortsword and pulled me back. 

Damn your reflexes, Peter.

"Shut it, puppy," I grumbled at Maugrim. "Leave us alone."

"Stop, Peter--Lark, maybe we should listen to him!" Susan screamed.

After the event, Lucy would joke that if looks could kill, she would've been down a sibling. However, death glares weren't the worst of my worries right then.

"Smart girl," Maugrim said. I sneered at him. Peter had turned his full attention to the wolf now, even though I knew he nor I had the guts to kill him.

Because I was still scared. He was too. We were so, so scared.

I turned to Peter. "Don't listen to him, Pete. Kill him--we've-you've got to kill him." Peter looked to be on the verge of tears as he shook his head.