XIV. this great war; 1

Lark's POV (this chapter, I want to focus on her ONLY. Next chapter--Ed's turn!)

We arrived at the castle in what seemed like a split second. Hopping off Aslan's back, we ran into the courtyard.

The statues were everywhere. Faces I recognized, ones I didn't, and---

"Mr. Tumnus!" Lucy exclaimed in sadness in terror. I ran up to her and stood by her side, following her gaze.

And there he was. Frozen in mid-scream, you could imagine the terror he felt.

I choked back a sob, turning to Aslan with a silent plea. He gave me a small nod, walked up to his statue, and breathed over it.

Slowly, as if watching ice melt, the color came back to his face, scarf, torso, and at last his legs and hooves.  We ran up to him, hugging him and crying tears of joy. 

With Tumnus revived, we ran around the courtyard in the same fashion, bringing familiar faces back to life and bringing them up to date.

In a matter of an hour or so, the whole courtyard was alive, bursting at the seams with creatures eager to join the war effort. Aslan joined up with the girls and me at the entrance, inviting us back onto his back.

"Where are we going now, Aslan?" Susan asked a hint of fear in her voice.

"Dear child, we are going to the battlefield. This great war will be known as the Battle of Beruna, and it is time to go aid your brothers, now isn't it?"

I felt a pang of hope in my heart. Edmund might still be there, still be alive---

No, Lark. Don't get your hopes up.

We ran as fast as we could our newly revived friends close behind. I soon got lost in the rhythmic thumping of their feet, paws, and hooves, in their endless whooping, in their smiling faces.

They had hope. So much hope, how could they, when we could possibly be bringing them to their deaths?

Then I realized. It didn't matter to them that they might die, that they might never see this new Narnia they were fighting for---what mattered was that they were fighting, fighting for a cause they believed in, to end a reign that had held them captive for a hundred years.

They had something worth fighting for. We all did.

As we neared Beruna, I began to hear the clashing of metal. Soon the noise was deafening, and all I could hear were their swords and their screams, some human, some animals. I heard the great flapping of wings from the griffins above, ready to drop rocks on our opposing forced.

I strained my mind, hoping it would stop, so I could stop being mentally surrounded by the sounds of failure, friends perishing, family suffering, love---

Quiet. Like silence, but not really silent.

The conversation I had with Edmund replayed in my head, and I smiled.

We would win this war. I would win this war, for him, for all the new friends I had made. 

We would live.

We reached an overhang, overlooking the battlefield.

I swallowed hard. I could see them all.

I saw Peter, my older brother engaged in a battle with a minotaur, his face contorted in a scream as he vanquished the beast.

I saw Orius, my old mentor sword fighting another centaur. I saw the sadness he carried with him for fighting his own kind.

I saw Jessop, my best friend surrounded by several hags, maybe a few werewolves in their ranks. A pit formed in my stomach, but I soon saw that Jess had it handled. Unsheathing his broadsword, he began to turn in a circle, killing them all instantly.

I saw...Edmund. Surrounded by archers, he waited in full battle armor on another part of the overhang. His face was solemn, but from where I stood I could see the amusement in his eyes every time out battalion advanced.

I looked away. No. They can't know we're--I'm---here. Not yet.

Aslan took us to a part of the outcropping where we could have a clear shot down to the battlefield. Dismounting, Lucy Susan and I watched the battle for a while.

I saw Edmund run down toward Peter, to engage in battle.

I saw Jessop, pinned to the ground by a fawn, knife at his throat.

And I saw her.

The witch, in her sleigh pulled by two polar bears, advanced on our army, turning to stone everything she could. Griffins fell out of the sky, panthers and leopards frozen in mid-jump.

Anger boiled inside of me, and I was about to run down there when I heard a yell.

A voice I had missed.

His voice. "Lark!" I didn't make eye contact, just advanced, unsheathing my sword, opening my mouth to scream.

But I didn't scream. I roared.

I felt my bracelet begin to grow warm, hotter and hotter until it felt like it would melt my skin--and then I felt it.

Falling onto my hands and knees I felt something begin to change...I felt stronger, more in tune with my surroundings, and I continued to run.

But something was different. Looking down, I soon realized why.

Not just my mind had changed, but my whole body.

I had transformed into a lioness.

---------------------------------------------------

A/N: NEW CHAPTER!!!!! I'm home sick today, so that's why this is up early.

Did ya like my cliffhanger? (lol I'm stupid)

Anyway, I don't have much to say, so see ya soon!

As always, don't forget to comment and vote if you liked this chapter (or just 'cause you love Edmund, that works too)

See ya next week peeps!

Au Revoir, 

Z