XVII. the end of the beginning

*Time skip 10 years*

I lay in bed with a bad cold. It couldn't have been a worse day to get sick. Everyone was going to hunt the White Stag. I had insisted everyone go without me, even though I was sad to miss the event. 

But it wasn't just my sickness. Something was wrong. I had felt it.

Something was going to end.

*Time skip about a day*

They hadn't returned. It had been a day, and they still hadn't returned.

Suddenly, I felt a shudder run through me. Something clicked, but not in a good way.

They were gone.

They were gone, gone, gone.

He was gone. A week before our wedding.

The Pevensies, seemingly, had vanished off the face of the world.

I let out a sob. One terrified, hollow sob. And then he was there.

"Oh, Aslan! Why did you let this happen? They're gone, They're gone, I'll never see them--him, again! Oh, please...please, send me back too." Aslan shook his head.

"Dear one, they are not gone forever. Just for a while. You will see them again."

"But, I might die before they return! Time works differently here! it could be thousands of years!"

"My dear child, do not fret. You will be here when they return. Look in the mirror."

Tearfully, I glanced in the mirror and almost screamed.

I was fourteen again. My dress was suddenly too big for me, and I had to hold it around me to keep it from falling off. Then, I understood.

"You will age with him, child. You will be here when he returns. I promise you that." One of my old dresses appeared in front of me, which I hurriedly put on, no longer worrying about being modest.

Just then, Jessop wandered confusedly into the room. But he wasn't the strong 25-year-old man I had seen just hours ago.

He was young again too.

"Lark--what? Aslan--"

"Do not worry, son of Narnia. It is done. But, you both must leave this place. I am sorry. You must not return as long as they are gone. No one must see you, and you must not make yourselves known. Now, go."

Still crying, Jessop and I ran out of the castle. 

Mounting Dessa, I snapped the reins and brought her to full gallop. I didn't even know where I was going. We weaved through trees, over rivers, and across fields, until we reached our final destination.

It was the meadow where I was made. 

Jumping off Dessa, I fell to my knees, sobbing. Jessop knelt beside me, soon crying as well.

I remembered what Edmund had said years before. "Whatever needs to happen, Lark. Anything and Everything." I remember what Aslan had said, too.

"This place is sacred only to you. Whenever you are afraid, or scared, or in danger, come here, and help will come to you."

"Fatemi vedere di nuovo, Aslan," I whispered my shakey plea in Italian.

Let me see him again, Aslan.

Please.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

TADAAAAAA! The end of book one! I hope you enjoyed every moment as much as I did, and I hope you will stick around for the sequel. I will put the title here in a few weeks.

Thank you so much, dear readers.

And, for the last time this book, let me say:

Au Revoir, my friends.

Much Love,

Z