VIII. merry christmas

Switching it up and starting with...

EDMUND'S POV:

Leaning my head against the bars of the cell next to me, I tried to fall asleep.

No such luck.

When I did manage to doze off? Oh, well...it wasn't exactly pleasant. My dreams, at least, weren't.

"Are you going to eat that?" A voice from the next cell over asked me. I looked through the bars and saw...

"Mr...Tumnus?" I asked as I hastily gave him the hard-as-rock bread.

His face lit up in realization. "You're Lucy Pevensie's brother!" 

Another pang in my gut.

"I'm...Edmund." I answered.

"You have the same nose," he mumbled to himself.

I subconsciously rubbed my nose. Oops.

"Is your sister safe? Is she alright? And Lark?" he pelted me with questions I wished I could answer.

"I...I don't know!" I answered truthfully.

I heard the clomping of heels come down the prison steps. We hurried away from our shared bars as the Witch made herself present.

"My wolves tore that dam apart, your little family and friend was nowhere to be found," She slammed open the door to my cell, grabbed me by my collar, and lifted me off the ground.

I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. "Where are they?"

"I...I don't know!" I choked out. She dropped me to the floor.

"Then I have no more use for you...Guard!" A wolf prowled into my cell.

"Wait!" I could hear myself say, "They said something about Aslan!" I looked to Tumnus, but all I saw was him sadly shaking his head.

Stupid me.

"Aslan! Where?" gasped the witch. 

"The boy has only been in Narnia for a short time!" Mr. Tumnus jumped in, trying to help, but was abruptly hit on the head.

"I...left before I could hear any more! I wanted to get to you." I kept talking.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

"Guard?" the witch screamed.

"Yes, your majesty?"

"Release the faun," she said, and the wolf dropped Mr. Tumnus, who grunted out in pain. "Do you know why you are here?" she asked him.

"Because I believe in a free Narnia!" announced Tumnus boldly.

"No. You are here because he--(here she pointed to me) turned you in for sweets!" she turned to her guard. "Take him (Tumnus), and ready my sleigh. Edmund misses his family."

God, Edmund, can't you ever keep your mouth shut?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LARK'S POV:

"Aslan's camp is over there, by the stone table, just across the frozen river." Mr. Beaver explains to the Pevensies. 

Me, however? I jolted awake as if from a dream. But no, just a daydream.

Again.

"River?" Susan asked.

"It's been frozen for 100 years, dear." Mrs. Beaver assured her.

"It seems so far..." Peter said wistfully.