VII. the fox

"This should lead us to Aslan," Mr. Beaver mumbled under his breath as we traveled through the tunnels.

"I thought you said it lead to your mum's!" asked Mrs. Beaver, aghast.

Suddenly, howling behind us.

Of course, just then, Lucy has to trip and fall.

"They've followed us!" I exclaimed.

Damn Edmund.

Damn it all.

Peter helped Lucy up and we continued to run. Then we came to a dead end. Of course.

"We should've brought a map!" Mrs. Beaver sighed.

"There wasn't room next to the jam!" Mr. Beaver snapped. We hurriedly climbed out of the hole. 

Me, being clumsy, tripped and fell into the arms of a statue.

Wait, what?

I looked around, just noticing that the room was filled with stone animals, almost all badgers. Mr. Beaver looked like he was suppressing a sob.

"He was my best mate!" he managed to choke out.

"What happened to them? asked Susan. I looked around, meeting eyes with all the Pevensies. If it hadn't already before, the magnitude of the situation set in. We were scared. I was scared.

And if we didn't make it to Aslan, we were screwed.

"This is what happens to those who anger the witch." said a voice from the shadows. I turned around, pulling a dagger out of my belt.

I didn't trust myself with a dagger, but my practice sword was back at camp and a dagger was the only thing I had.

If it came to it, I doubted I would be able to handle myself.

"Stand still, traitor!" I screamed at him. A fox stepped out of the shadows.

"Relax, I'm one of the good guys." stated the fox nonchalantly.

"Well, you look a lot like one of the bad ones." put in Mr. Beaver.

"An unfortunate family resemblance...but that doesn't matter. We---you need to move."

"What do you suggest?" asked Peter fairly. Look at him, being all kingly and ish. (KEEPING IT PG-ish)

Suddenly the fox looked up, sniffing the air.

"Get to high ground! I'll cover you!" he whispered hurriedly. I ran nimbly to the nearest tree and began to hide. When I had reached a high enough branch, I looked down to see that no one had followed me.

"Come on, you lot!" I whisper-screamed. They followed me up the tree.

Wolves broke through the trees and surrounded the Fox.

"Evening gents, have we lost something?" the fox asked cheekily. I smiled nervously.

Please, please let him get away with this.

"Don't patronize me, I know where your allegiance lies. We're looking for some humans." one of the wolves growled. I shuddered.

Don't blow this, fox.

"Humans in Narnia? Now that's some valuable information." The fox said. Aslan, he was a bad liar. The wolves eyes twitched momentarily to the trees.

He blew it.

Lucy cries out. Peter and I quickly shushed her.

The fox hangs his head in mock defeat.

"They--they were heading North." I almost laughed. 

"Quickly, smell them out!" The wolf yelled, all of them leaving the fox injured in the snow. We quickly made our way down the tree.

Mrs. Beaver began patching up the fox where he had been hurt. We all sat around the fire. I stared blankly into the flames, Thinking of Edmund.

Damn it, Pevensie! Why did you have to run away?

"Stop squirming! You're worse than Beaver on bath day." Mrs. Beaver sighed. Mr. Beaver chuckles.

"It's the worst day of the year."

Mr. Fox (I had begun to think of him as a Mr.) suddenly stood.

"I'm afraid that's all the healing I have time for." He thanked her grimly.

"You're leaving?" I asked.

"It has been an honor, my Queen, but I must go. Aslan himself asked me to gather more troops."

"You've seen Aslan?" Mr. Beaver asked. I sat up straight. I know I had no parents, and that was a hole nothing could ever fill, but Aslan was as close to a father as I would get. Was he okay?

"What's he like?" asked Mrs. Beaver.

"Like everything we've heard. He'll be a good help when it comes to fighting the Witch."

Susan's reaction to this comment surprised me. "We'll not be fighting any witch." The fox turned to Peter.

"Surely, King Peter..."

"We just want to get our brother back," Peter said certainly. 

I made eye contact with Lucy across the circle. She smiled sadly at me, nodding at Peter and Susan as if to say. 'I have no choice if that's what they want'

I didn't realize I had been crying until Peter walked over and put his arm around me.

"I'm sorry," he said, "But our family is the most important thing. Not saving some country that we thought never existed." I sniffed, looking up at him.

To think I might never see them again. See Peter, never be annoyed by his overprotectiveness?

See Susan, never laugh with her about how stupid boys could be?

See Lucy, never smile at her again, or pick her up when she feels down?

Never see...Edmund, again?

"Though we'll try to do that too." Peter finished with a comforting smile. "Get some sleep."

A/N: BROTP! BROTP! Sorry, I think Peter and Lark will make the cutest brother-sister duo!

That is all.

As always, if you liked it, don't forget to comment and vote!

Love you all! 

Au Revoir,

Z