XII. the last night

Continuation of: Edmund's POV

Are you gonna tell her?

Those five words rattled around in my brain as I stood there, frozen. Of course, I wanted to...but could I? Should I?

I wanted to give him a definite answer, maybe get a smile of reassurance, but I said something really intelligent, like "Uh...."

"It's okay," Jessop said, surprising me. "I didn't mean to force that on you. I was just wondering...but, hey, don't stress. You'll do fine, Eddie...and you don't have to tell her yet. We have the war to train for, after all."

War. All I could hope was that we all got out alive. Especially if I was going to---nevermind.

"Thanks, uh...Jess." He smiled crookedly at me, then tossed me a sword.

"Spar?"

"Sure.

I walked up to him, smiling all the while. Maybe he wasn't so bad. Maybe everything would be okay.

" C'mon, Eddie. Let's melt that human snowcone."

And we began.

...

*Time skip to around midnight*

Lucy's POV (WHAAAAAAAA???)

I tossed and turned for the umpteenth time tonight.  I had been awake since---since I don't know! 

It's not like I wasn't tired--I was exhausted. But I just. Couldn't. Sleep! Something felt---wrong, somehow.

"Susan,"I whispered as I turned over. "Susan, are you awake?"

"I am now." I heard her groan. "What is it, Lucy?"

"Something's wrong. I can't---I can't place it. But it feels wrong."

"I---well...now that you mention it, Lu, something does feel wrong. I wonder---"

Just then, I saw two shadows cross outside our tent. One was a human, the other a lion.

Without hesitation, I jumped out of bed and ran outside.

...
Lark's POV

I walked beside Aslan dismally towards the forest. It was my last night--alive. Ever. I could've walked in silence the whole way---I was afraid if I talked too much, I would cry.

Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me.

"Aren't you supposed to be in bed?" Aslan asked without turning around.

"We couldn't sleep." A voice I recognized as Lucy's said.

"Oh, Aslan--Lark...can't we walk with you?" Susan asked. I swallowed.

"I'd--we'd be glad of the company." I tried to sound cheerful but was pretty sure I had failed.

"Where are you going?" Lucy asked. I frowned.

"I am afraid we can't tell you--just yet. you will find out soon enough." Aslan said, his voice a mixture of sympathy and sadness.

We walked in silence the rest of the way because none of us had anything to say.

We reached the edge of the trees, so the stone table was visible. It was a warm night--but I shivered.

There stood Jadis and her cronies, waiting with rope and knives and shears.

"I shall go first," Aslan whispered so only I could hear.

"This is where I leave you. I must go on alone. Thank you, Susan. Thank you, Lucy. Thank you, Lark. Farewell."

He stalked away towards the stone table. I couldn't bear it--couldn't bear to hear the screams, see the blood, the queen. I prayed and prayed---and then it happened, just like we had planned.

Quiet.

I turned away from the scene, hugging Lucy and Susan---two girls like the sisters I never had, two girls I would never see again. 

I thought of Peter--the overprotective big brother who was teasing yet kind, with a heart of gold. 

I remembered Jessop---all the times we had bickered when we had first met. It had only been about two weeks--but I felt like I knew him forever.

I thought of Edmund then. The boy, the crush, the friend I would never see again. I regretted not telling him how I felt---but it was alright. I think he already knew, in his heart. I could only hope that he had ever felt the same.

Goodbye, I thought. Goodbye, all of you.

I cracked then--the solemn facade crumbling. I let my dams down enough for one tear to fall down my cheek.

And I was ready.

The sound faded in again. It was Jadis's voice.

"THE GREAT CAT-----IS DEAD!" I turned to Susan and Lucy, tears streaming down their faces.

"Goodbye, girls. Never forget him--me--this. Even when it is gone. I--I love you both. Tell the boys--tell them I love them too. Tell them to have faith. And tell---tell Edmund not to blame himself. Good luck with the fight and...and never stop believing." I was crying again.

Not waiting for a response, I turned quickly on my heel and walked towards the table.

Jadis saw me first.

"Our little cub has decided to show! Come, my dear. Feast your eyes upon the army that has killed your precious Aslan. Look upon it knowing--knowing you will lose this war."

I didn't give her the satisfaction of my fear. "Get this over with, witch."

I laid down on the table, limbs splayed out. The witch kept talking. I wasn't really listening, but I focused again when I heard Edmund's name.

"What?"

"I said---did you really think I was going to keep my side of the bargain. Tomorrow, your precious love will die--and you will have done nothing to stop me."

Fear. Lies. Anger coursed through my veins. How had we been so stupid?

Then I heard a voice in my head---Aslan's voice.

"Courage, dear heart." That was all. But it settled in my heart--cold stone resolve. I felt my bracelet go warm---then everything was numb. I didn't feel them cut off my hair. i didn't feel the pain of cold steel as the vile witch plunged her dagger into my heart; All i felt was warmth.

Everything became dark. So, so dark. I closed my eyes, thinking.

Was this what it felt like to die?

I opened my eyes again---and the light was blinding.

--------------------------------------------------------------

A/N AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I'm so evil. Guess you'll just have to wait for more Larkmund. Did ya like this chapter---I almost cried while writing it.

Get ready for tears---wait till the others find out. *cough* Edmund *cough*.

Anyway, don't forget to comment and vote if you liked this chapter, and I'll see you all Sunday!

Au revoir,

Z