Chapter 9: Whose Fault From the Mission

At the Avengers Compound, Steve was watching the news of what happened on their mission. The news anchor and the king of Wakanda himself, T'Chaka, believed things got out of hand because of the Avenger.

He then went to check on Wanda, who was sitting on her bed in her room, watching a separate news story that said she was the main reason things went to disaster. In response, Steve turned the TV off and set the remote down and he leaned against the doorframe.

"It's my fault," Wanda sighed.

"That's not true," Steve disagreed.

"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific," she pointed out.

"I should've clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it," he pointed out as he walked over to her then continued, "Rumlow said 'Bucky' and 'Y/N' and...all of a sudden I was a 16-year-old kid again, in Brooklyn."

He sat beside her.

"And people died. It's on me," Steve said.

"It's on both of us," Wanda corrected.

"This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time...maybe nobody gets saved," he explained.

"How does your sister deal with things like this?" Wanda asked.

"She does what you're doing now. Taking the blame even when it was not her fault alone. Even after coming out from under the ice, she does it. But we can't save everyone," Steve told her, making her nod in response.

Then Vision came through the wall, getting Wanda's and Steve's attention.

"Vis! We talked about this," Wanda lightly scolded.

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that--" Vision started, stopped, then told them, "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving."

"Thank you. We'll be right down," Steve told him.

"I'll...use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest," Vision said.

"We know who it is?" Steve wondered.

"The Secretary of State," Vision answered.

So they all went down to meet with Tony and this other man.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Oh crap. There's trouble.