Chapter 13: The Funeral

In London, a cathedral was packed with mourners. A choir was singing as six pallbearers carried a Union Jack-covered coffin, Steve being one of them. His eyes were red from crying.

Everyone saw a candle burning by a photograph of Peggy from WWII and had a label that read "Margaret 'Peggy' Carter." Before the mourners sat down, Y/N came in and sat beside Steve. He noticed and smiled at her.

(A/N Your outfit.)

"Sorry I'm late," she apologized

"It's okay. As long as you came," he told her.

She noticed Sam beside him and smiled.

"Hey, Sam," she greeted.

"Hey, Y/N," he returned with a smile.

That's when the priest addressed the mourners.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the priest said.

That's when Sharon went up to the podium.

Steve didn't even see Sharon until Sam and Y/N nudged Steve. He noticed as Sharon looked at him.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD...but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy," Sharon shared.

This surprised Steve and Y/N.

"She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related," Sharon explained.

She looked directly at Y/N and Steve at that part, mainly Steve.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move...it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say 'No, you move,'" Sharon finished.

Afterwards, Steve and Y/N were the only ones in the church. They were in a sibling hug until they heard someone come their way and they turned around to see Natasha.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone. Even when I thought Y/N was dead and then I found out that Peggy was alive. I was just lucky to have her," Steve explained.

"She had you back, too," Natasha pointed out then told Y/N, "It's good to see you again, Y/N."

"Same with you, Nat," Y/N smiled.

"Who else signed?" Steve asked.

"Tony. Rhodey. Vision," Natasha answered.

Y/N had heard about who were all a part of the Avengers, including the newer members like Vision and Scarlet Witch. But something caught her attention.

"Signed what?" Y/N asked.

"The secretary came to us, talking about this document that says the Avengers will no longer be a private organization. The government would tell us where to go and not to go," Steve answered.

"Then no can do on that," Y/N decided.

They looked back to Natasha.

"Clint?" Steve asked.

"Says he's retired," Natasha said, smiling slightly.

"Wanda?" Steve continued.

"TBD," Natasha answered.

(A/N To Be Determined.)

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There's plenty of room on the jet," Natasha offered.

Steve sighed and bowed his head.

"Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together. And I think Y/N has earned a spot on the team," Natasha explained.

Nat was sure about Y/N, but she felt conflicted about the whole signing thing.

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve asked.

"And I would like to be on the team, but it seems that doing this, based off of people's opinions, it would tear everybody apart," Y/N pointed out.

Natasha just sighed as the siblings shook their heads.

"I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it," Steve told her.

"I wouldn't anyway," Y/N added.

"I know," Natasha told them.

"Then what are you doing here?" Steve asked.

"I didn't want you both to be alone," Natasha answered.

That meant a lot to them.

"Come here," she told them and hugged them.

When they parted, Nat left and the siblings were left alone.

"So, did you find Bucky?" Steve asked.

"Yeah. I found him a few times, but we only talked and he would disappear. He kept saying that he didn't want to be found. But I found him again and he finally let me stay with him and we've been living in an abandoned apartment for a few days," Y/N explained.

"Really? You guys are going steady?" he asked with a slight smirk.

She rolled her eyes and said, "If you want to call it that. Plus his memories are getting better. He remembered Peggy a little bit, but he felt he shouldn't come because he only remembered an image, not any specific memories."

Steve nodded his head then asked, "Does he remember me?"

"He won't fully admit it, but I can see he does," Y/N answered.

"That's good. Well, you better not keep him waiting," he told her.

She lightly punched him, hugged him, and replied, "I'll see you later."

They parted and she left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Just as a reminder, you are on Captain America's side for this fan fiction. It just makes sense. Sorry to those who are on Iron Man's side.

P.S. I'm going to stop for now. I'm just worn out from today. I'm off tomorrow, so I'll try to do more.