Chapter 22: The Attack

Steve, Y/N, and Sam made it outside the chamber as red emergency lights flashed all around. They saw the soldiers knocked out.

"Help me. Help," Zemo said.

They found him in the heap of ruins.

"Get up," Y/N commanded.

Steve grabbed Zemo and pinned him against the wall.

"Who are you? What do you want?" Steve demanded.

"To see an empire fall," Zemo answered.

That's when Bucky attacked Sam and shoved him into the pod. Steve then intervened, but it didn't do anything but make Bucky beat him out of the chamber. Y/N ran to Steve to check on him as Bucky and Sam started fighting again.

"Steve, are you okay?" Y/N asked.

"Yeah. But he doesn't seem to recognize me. Maybe you can do something," Steve suggested.

"Alright," Y/N said.

But then he shoved her out of the way when Bucky was about to punch him. But then he sent Steve into the blackened-out elevator shaft.

Zemo made his escape with Sam right behind him as the siblings got up and followed Bucky out of there.

Back in the control room, everyone heard about Bucky's escape.

"Evac all civilians. Get me a perimeter around the building, and gunships in the air," Ross ordered.

"Please tell me you brought a suit," Natasha requested.

"Sure did. It's a lovely Tom Ford, three-piece, two-button. I'm an active-duty non-combatant," Tony explained.

"Follow me," Sharon said as she past them.

Sam continued to chase down Zemo as Steve climbed up the elevator shaft and Y/N followed Bucky's trail.

Bucky stalked through the ground floor and got rid of two of the guards. Tony hid behind one of the pillars.

"We're in position," Nat notified over her radio.

Tony made his Iron Man-glove come on then shocked Bucky with a stun burst, stopping him from taking out another guard. Tony fired again, but Bucky avoided it and fought Tony, along with shooting him. Tony blocked the bullets with the glove and got rid of the gun until Bucky shoved him away. Then Sharon and Natasha went at it. Then Bucky flipped Sharon on a table then Natasha fought him off until she was slammed into another table and he grabbed her throat.

"You could at least recognize me," Natasha pointed out, her voice strained.

"Bucky!" Y/N yelled.

Bucky and Nat looked at her, his look and grip softening.

"You don't have to do this. If you're still in there, please prove it to me now," Y/N begged.

Bucky got up and walked toward her, allowing Nat to escape. He caressed Y/N's cheek with his flesh hand, making her melt into his touch.

"Y-Y/N?" Bucky asked.

Then T'Challa came out of nowhere and kicked Bucky away from Y/N.

"What are you doing?!" she yelled.

He ignored her and fought Bucky, both being pretty evenly matched. Then Bucky got T'Challa off of him and ran up some stairs. T'Challa quickly followed until he was in front of Bucky. They continued to fight until T'Challa threw Bucky over the railing. T'Challa followed, but didn't find anything, so he searched the perimeter.

Sam continued to follow Zemo's trail until he found something and picked it up.

"Damn it," he muttered, looked around the wide courtyard, and scowled.

Bucky made it to the roof and walked towards the blue helicopter, yanking the lock of the door. He got in and started it as Steve and Y/N rushed outside and ran toward the rising helicopter.

"Steve, you were right. Even with Bucky being controlled, he still remembers me. So when we get him out, let me talk to him," Y/N said.

"Okay," Steve agreed.

He jumped and grabbed the landing gear. Steve struggled as he pulled hard and the chopper attempted to gain height. Steve's feet kicked for help then he got them flat on the helipad. But he started losing his grip, so Y/N grabbed his hand and the railing. They gritted their teeth and continued to pull. That is until Bucky decided to jerk the joystick left, making the helicopter come down. The siblings got out of the way to avoid the blades. Once the chopper was down, Bucky punched his way through the glass and growled he grabbed Steve by the throat. The helicopter started to list over the edge as Bucky didn't let go of Steve.

"Bucky, don't do this," Y/N begged.

He stopped for a minute, but then he was knocked out and let Steve go. They and the helicopter went into the body of water below. Steve and Y/N surfaced as she held Bucky above the water.

At that time, Zemo made it to the airport and was listening to a voice mail from his dead wife. Then he went on the next flight to Moscow as the news revealed what happened back at the Avenger's headquarters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Well, that happened.