Chapter 34: Surprise Before the Rest of the Mission

Steve landed the Quinjet to see Zemo's caterpillar truck on the remote icy mountain top. The jet's wings folded up beside the fuselage.

On board Bucky got out the rack of guns labeled 'Romanoff'. He took a light machine gun while Y/N took a couple of .22 pistols.

22 pistols

Bucky, Y/N, and Steve stood together, waiting for the exit ramp to open

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Steve asked.

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy hot dogs?" Bucky wondered.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead," Y/N told him.

"What was her name again?" Bucky asked.

"Dolores. You called her Dot," Y/N remembered, a hint of sadness present.

Bucky sensed this, gently took her hand, and joked, "She's gotta be a hundred years old right now."

That made her giggle.

"So are we, pal," Steve added then said, "I'm going to check on something real quick."

He left and Bucky and Y/N were alone.

"Now that he's gone, I have something to ask you," Bucky told her.

"Yeah?" Y/N wondered, urging him to go on.

He took a hold of both of her hands and took a deep breath. He really seemed nervous, so Y/N kissed him real quick to help. And it did.

"Thanks," he smiled.

"You're welcome," she returned it.

"Okay. Y/N, for as long as I can remember, you've been there for me no matter what. Whether it was back during the war or when I was the Winter Soldier, you were always by my side to help me. I couldn't figure out why you fell in love with me, but after our talk, I see what you see. I may still not trust myself entirely, but you still trust me and that's enough," Bucky explained.

He pulled out a beautiful ring that was from back in 1940.

"I held onto this since 1940 and I wanted to wait to give it to you until I felt it was time. Now is that time," he said.

(A/N I actually googled "ring 1940.")

Y/N gasped quietly and cupped her mouth as she smiled

Y/N gasped quietly and cupped her mouth as she smiled. Tears started to form as he got down on one knee and held her right hand with his metal hand.

"Y/N M/N Rogers, will you marry me?" he asked.

She dropped to her knees and hugged his neck, him returning it.

"Yes! I've been waiting for this day," Y/N lightly sobbed.

They parted and smiled at each other as they got up. He slipped the ring on her ring finger of her shaky, left hand. They kissed passionately until they needed air.

"Congratulations, you guys," Steve told them.

They turned to see Steve with a genuine smile on his face, making them return it.

Steve put his helmet on and they all walked up to the entrance set in rock. The door was still open.

"He can't have been here more than a few hours," Steve pointed out.

"Long enough to wake them up," Bucky added.

"Well, he's not going to get anything," Y/N stated.

They made their way deeper into the bunker, them readying their weapons when they entered a new room. They were working their way up some stairs when they heard a loud thud from behind the corridor behind them.

"You ready, guys?" Steve asked.

"Yeah," the couple answered.

Bucky readied his gun, Y/N readied her shield and one of her guns, and Steve was ready to defend. The doors were parted by Iron Man, catching Steve and Y/N off guard.

"You seem a little defensive," Tony asked.

Bucky didn't let down, but Y/N lowered her gun cautiously; she just kept her shield up.

"It's been a long day," Steve said.

"At ease, Soldier. I'm not currently after you," Tony told Bucky.

"Then why are you here?" Y/N asked.

"Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself," Tony told them.

"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork," Steve said, lowered his shield, and told him, "It's good to see you, Tony."

"You too, Cap," Tony responded then told Y/N, "I was warned that you are a little overprotective of your boyfriend. You don't need to worry about that."

"You were told right, but it's a start," Y/N replied, lowering her shield, then added, "By the way, he's my fiancé."

"Congrats then," Tony said, noticed that Bucky hadn't let his gun down, then told him, "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..."

"It's okay," Y/N whispered in his ear.

In response, Bucky lowered his weapon.

At that time, T'Challa had made it and began following as they made their way through the hideout.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Hope you guys enjoyed the proposal. ❤️