Chapter 23: Bucky's Back

Steve, Y/N, and Sam snuck into an abandoned warehouse where they saw Bucky go in. Bucky was on the verge of waking up when they saw him. His metal arm was in a vice.

"Hey, Cap!" Sam called.

"Okay, Y/N. Wait here. We know he'll remember you, but I need to know if he's not going to attack us," Steve whispered.

"Okay," Y/N agreed.

Steve stepped out to join Sam and saw Bucky, sitting with his arm in the vice. They just stared at him.

"Steve," Bucky said.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Steve asked.

"Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes," Bucky told him.

That was the confirmation Y/N and Steve needed.

"Can't read that in a museum," Steve smiled.

"Just like that, we're suppose to be cool?" Sam asked.

"Well, I say that we are," Y/N said, stepping into view.

"Y/N," Bucky smiled.

She went up to him, cupped his face, and kissed him gently. He held her close with his flesh arm. Then when they parted, Bucky saw the sad smile on Y/N's face, the sad expression on Steve's face, and the emotionless glare on Sam's face.

"What did I do?" Bucky wondered as Y/N got up and sat beside him.

"Enough," Steve answered.

"Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words," Bucky said.

"Who was he?" Y/N asked.

"I don't know," Bucky answered.

"People are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know,'" Steve explained.

"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where," Bucky told him.

"Why would he need to know that?" Y/N asked, taking his flesh hand.

"Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier," Bucky answered.

He explained how when he caused the car crash and got the serum back in 1991.

The vials of the serum were given to four men and a woman, making them fit and muscular, but it hurt more than anything to a point where they screamed.

The man behind it, Karpov, just watched and took notes. One of the men and Bucky got in a fight, the other man winning.

But then the other super soldiers went rogue and escaped. In the process, Bucky protected Karpov as they got out.

Once he was done explaining, he noticed a tear going down Y/N's cheek as she let his metal arm free and he kissed her forehead in response.

"Who were they?" Steve asked.

"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum," Bucky answered.

"They all turn out like you?" Sam wondered.

"Worse," Bucky answered.

"The doctor, could he control them?" Y/N asked, her voice full of hate toward the doctor.

"Enough," Bucky told her, putting his hand on her cheek.

"Said he wanted to see an empire fall," Steve told Sam.

"With these guys he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize, They can take a whole country down in one night. You'd never see them coming," Bucky explained.

Sam got Y/N's attention and signaled her over.

"I'll be back," she whispered and kissed him.

She got up and joined Steve and Sam.

"This would have been a lot easier a week ago," Sam pointed out.

"If we call Tony..." Steve suggested.

"No, he won't believe us," Sam disagreed.

"Even if he did..." Y/N started.

"Who knows if the Accords would let him help," Sam stated.

"We're on our own," Steve said.

"Maybe not. I know a guy," Sam told them.

Y/N looked at Bucky as she approached him. She noticed his head was bowed in shame that he let the man read those words to him. Y/N bent down to his level and lifted his face to see hers.

"Don't worry, baby. We're going to help you and make sure that this doesn't happen again," Y/N assured, cupping his face gently.

He smiled as he kissed one of her hands, bringing that one closer.

"How did I get to be with you? I dated many women before the war only because I thought I didn't have a shot with you and you only had eyes for me from the start," Bucky wondered.

She smiled, resting her forehead on his.

"We both thought Steve would be overprotective. I understand why you did it," she said.

"But what did you see in me, back then and now?" he asked.

"I saw a true gentleman who was willing to risk his life for the ones he loves and even for complete strangers. I still see that man here in front of me. I want you to prove that to everyone," Y/N answered.

Bucky nodded, they stood up, and kissed. It was sweet yet passionate.

"Guys, we're heading out," Steve let them know.

They could practically hear the smirk in his voice. They parted, gave light glares to him, and they all left, Bucky and Y/N hand in hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N I love writing romantic moments like this. 😜