Chapter 15: Bucky is the #1 Suspect

Meanwhile, Steve and Sharon were walking into a hotel after the funeral.

"My mom tried to talk me out of enlisting, but, um, not Aunt Peggy. She bought me my first thigh holster," Sharon told him.

"Very practical," Steve commented.

"And stylish," she added as they waited for the elevator.

"CIA has you stationed over here now?" he asked.

"In Berlin, Joint Terrorism Task Force," Sharon answered.

"Right. Right. Sounds fun," Steve said.

"I know, right?" she commented.

He smiled at her then said, "I've been meaning to ask you. When you were spying on me from across the hall..."

"You mean when I was doing my job," Sharon corrected.

"Did Peggy know?" Steve wondered.

"She kept so many secrets. I didn't want her to have one from you," she answered, the elevator arrived, then she thanked, "Thanks for walking me back."

"Sure," he said.

That's when Sam arrived.

"Steve. There's something you gotta see," Sam told him.

They looked at the TV that showed the attack on the UN.

"Who's coordinating?" Sharon asked in her radio, saw more of the news story, then wondered, "Good. They're solid. Forensics?"

As the story continued, it mentioned that the assassination of T'Chaka was committed by Bucky, making Steve really concerned.

"I have to go to work," Sharon said.

"I better call Y/N," Steve added, pulling out his phone.

"Call MI6, see if we can get Micro Forensics to hurry this up. We need the whole team here in two hours or it's not worth it," Sharon replied into her radio.

Steve dialed Y/N's number and waited for her to pick.

"Steve?" Y/N asked, her voice in a panic.

"I'm guessing you know already?" Steve wondered.

"Yeah. I need to go find him," she told him.

"No. Go to the apartment and wait for him," he told her.

"Steve, if he's still out there, he could get killed. I need to find him, then I'll get him to the apartment to get some stuff and make sure I get him somewhere safe. I can send you the address if you want," she explained.

"Okay, fine. But hurry," Steve decided.

"Alright," Y/N responded and they hung up.

Once they left, they passed T'Challa who was sitting on a bench, shaken up. He was slightly bleeding in his head. Natasha sat beside him.

"I'm very sorry," she apologized.

He held an ornate silver ring which he toys with between his fingers as he explained, "In my culture, death is not the end. It's more of a...stepping-off point. You reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veldt where...you can run forever."

"That sounds very peaceful," Natasha responded.

"My father thought so," T'Challa said, put the ring on his finger, then replied, "I am not my father."

"T'Challa. Task force will decide who brings in Barnes," Natasha said.

T'Challa clenched his fist before saying, "Don't bother, Miss Romanoff. I'll kill him myself."

"You do know that he is in a relationship with Y/N Rogers and she will do anything to protect him," she pointed out.

"Then that makes her a threat too," he said dangerously.

He walked away then Natasha's phone rang. She saw it was Steve from the Caller ID, who was off to the side in a civilian's disguise.

"Yeah?" Natasha answered.

"You alright?" Steve asked.

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky," she said, looked around, then replied as she stood up, "I know how much Barnes means to you and Y/N. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please. And the fact that Y/N will be trying to find and protect him makes her a target."

"Are you saying you'll arrest us?" he questioned.

"No. Someone will. If you two interfere. That's how it works now," Natasha answered.

"If he's this far gone, Nat, my sister and I should be the ones to bring him in. Y/N knows she can help him and that he remembers me, but if he has lost it, we will bring him in," Steve explained.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because we're the ones least likely to die trying," he answered then ended the call.

"Shit," Natasha muttered.

Steve went inside a coffee shop to see Sam, also in a civilian's disguise, at the counter.

"She tell you two to stay out of it?" Sam asked then pointed out, "Might have a point."

"He'd do it for us," Steve said.

"He would for Y/N, but for you, 1945 maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me," Sam explained as Sharon came in.

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this," she said, slid a file over to Steve, then continued, "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now...so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you," Steve thanked.

"And you and your sister are gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight," Sharon warned.

Meanwhile, Zemo was still working on finding Bucky and looking through Karpov's red book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N You and Steve better find Bucky fast.