Part 2-Day in the life of Busola

26th July 2018- 5am

My eyes open abruptly at the sound of my younger sister hasna's loud yelling into my ear which made me groan LIKE ALWAYS. I look at her but all she did was smile then she leans down and gives me a kiss.

"Morning sis, its 5:05, Yousif and I are done. Get ready",she says.

"Oh really? That's good",I yawn while nodding my head then get off my bed which me and her share while our brother Yousif has his own room since he's 19 and can't be sharing bedroom with his sister no more.

We live alone in a two bedroom house with two bathrooms, one downstairs and one near our bedroom and Yousif's. Our parents died due to a hit and run. They were crossing the road when a car suddenly slammed into them. He or she didn't even have the decency to even check them, to see if they were okay. If he had checked them then they probably would be okay. They wouldve gotten help much faster. I was 10 then, Yousif was 4 and Hasna was 4. We had to stay with a family member until I reached 18, adult age. I graduated highschool. I wanted to study Midwifery but I knew I couldn't. I needed to provide for my younger ones so I studied business and law in school. I couldn't even finish that either because in my last year, Hasna fell sick so I had to be at home to take care of her hence I missed all my classes. I couldn't graduate but Alhamdulilah I was able to get a job as a receptionist at a hospital. If I can't work as a midwife there I could at least do something in the area. I just loved it I don't know why. The surrounding and the smell of the hospital is the only thing keeping me in that hospital because honestly being a receptionist sucks BIG TIME.

"Morning sis",Yousif greets me as I walk into the kitchen where he's seated with Hasna around the dining table.

"Morning"I ruffle his hair and smile.

"Hey I told you leave the hair"he groans as begins to style his hair all over again.

"Boy shut up it ain't even good anyways"Hasna rolls her eyes hissing at him.

"Did I ask you? Poke noser",Yousif rolls his eyes at her also.

"I just smile st the two then walk towards the stove. I pick up a pot, rinse it then pour 5 indomie(nigerian noodles) into it. Yousif has a BIG share sooooooo. Big boy things you know....

"What time do you finish today sis?",Yousif asks as I begin to sweep the kitchen.

"8, but I think am going to have to work over night today. It pays more and I need to pay House bill, Car insurance and we need new groceries too and y'all need to get new clothes".

"I don't understand why you won't let me get a part time job sis. You can't keep doing this alone"Yousif says.

"Because I want you both to focus on your studies. And face your studies and your studies only. You hear me?",I turn to the two who nod then continue talking with each other.

"Sis do you have money on you?",Hasna asks looking at me with guilt.

"Why? What do you need it for?".

"Its okay if you don't have it, its just my friends have been telling me to go out with them and its Sandra's birthday, everyone's going and she said if I don't go she won't talk to me. Some of the girls there are already making fun of me, I don't even see their own or why they even care"she complains then sighs.

"Where y'all going?",Yousif asks her. I take a seat beside him and rub my forehead tiredly.

"They're going to this restaurant I don't know I heard its quite expensive so that's why if you don't have it I don't mind"she adds.

I nod then get up and walk to my bag. I open it and take out my purse then take out 100 euro. I only have 50 euro after that, 20 for Yousif and 30 for me to keep just in case of emergency.

"There you go",I hand her the money and her eyes widen with shock.

"Sis that's too much I can't take all that. What if you nee-"

"Hey Hasna the only reason am working my ass off is for you and Yousif. I don't want you to be lacking anything and I try to provide as much as I can. I don't want you to be behind your friends. Just go, get yourself something to wear because I know you ain't got nothing and have fun with your friends but please don't stay out too late",I tell her.

She smiled then hugs me tightly.

"Thank you sis. I love you"she whispers then kisses my cheeks.

"I love you too",I smile and pat her back.

"Now come on". I let go of her then hand Yousif his money for the week. I walk back to the stove and get the indomie(Nigerian noodles) into three separate bowls. I serve the two then sit down with mine.

"Sis what will happen when you get married?",Hasna asks.

I look up from my bowl and furrow my eyebrows at her.

"Why the talk of marriage?"I chuckle.

"Just asking",she shrugs.

"Well I don't know, if I do get married sooner then obviously am bringing y'all with me. But I won't be until your both working and stable yourselves before I can even think of settling down so you don't have to worry about that",I shrug.

"So we'll be staying with you and your husband if you get married let's say this year or next?",she asks.

"Obviously. If the guy can't agree then he doesn't want to get married that's it. Am not leaving y'all alone for any aunties or uncles we barely know",I shrug.

"Now pack up"I get their bowls then wash them.

***
"Be careful please and face your work and your work only. Hasna how will you get to the restaurant? Or to the shop?" I ask her.

"Am riding with Sandra".

"Yousif how about you? How are you getting home?".

"I'll probably get a ride with Zack"he shrugs.

"Okay that's good. Just be careful please",I say as Hasna gives me a kids then gets out of the car. Yousif follows after her and shuts the door. I wave at the two as they walk away.

I start my 2 hours drive towards my workplace with the windows down and my phone playing some relaxing Qur'an recitations.

And that's how my daily routine goes:

- Wake up at 5 am

- Cook+eat

-Get ready for work/college for them

- Leave house at 7:30

- Drive 2 hours to their college and 2 hours to my workplace

-Reach my workplace at exactly 12

-Finish Work depending on how busy it is and it usually is very busy.

- Reception finishes at 6:30 though so that's good but I also help organize files as well over night so that's usually relaxing because I can actually listen to whatever I want on my phone and overnight pays more.

- Get home whenever I get home and replay everything again the next day and so on.