Girl Meets Father

"Look at that ninth-grade woman!" Riley said as she looks at one of the students putting on make-up

"Look at that ninth-grade woman!" Riley said as she looks at one of the students putting on make-up. "She's putting on makeup. We're going to be ninth-grade women someday!"
"This thing goes to ninth grade?" I complained.
"Why that?" Riley said as Allison takes out an eyelash curler.
"Brings out your eyes," my sister explained.
"Why would I wanna take out my eyes?" Riley asked.
"She's not taking out her eyes," I explain.
"And I think she is," she said pointing to Allison.
"It's an eyelash curler. It doesn't even hurt," Allison said, handing the eyelash curler to Riley.
"I have eyelashes."
"Watch this," Maya said as Riley tried to use the eyelash curler.
"Ahhhhh!" She screamed.
"Anybody else would stop," I said. She kept screaming until Mr. Matthew came along.
"Open it," He told his daughter. Riley took the eyelash curler off her eye.
"Thanks, Daddy."
"Yeah, okay," he said as he walked into the classroom.
"Yeah, okay," She said as she hands the eyelash curler.
"Ladies," Farkle appeared.
"Farkle," we said.
"School dance. I'm gonna put you both down for Dance Numbers one through all of them. We will alternate. You and me, me and you, and you and me. When you're not dancing with me, you may not dance with anyone else. So you may sit and wait until you dance with me again," he explained.
"Yeah, none of this is happening," I concluded.
"Well, may I have one dance with each of you?" He asked.
"Sure," Riley said.
"Ha! That's all I wanted. You just got played by Farkle," he said walking away.
"Hey guys!" Lucas said as he enter.
"Lucas!" Riley said raising her hand.
"Hand," Maya said.
"Lucas!" She repeated loudly.
"Grown-up voice," I ordered.
"Lucas, hello," She said.
"Hey," he said.
"Hey, yeehaw. You going to Tick-Tock Shake Your Body Time, cause, you know, it's not a square dance," Maya said.
"Yeah, there's not gonna be a whole lot of do-si-doing," I said.
"Well then, I'm sure I'll have no idea what to do and you two can make fun of me," He said happily.
"You're not playing this right," Maya said pointing to him.
"Oh, well that's certainly not my intention. I'll try harder next time," He said as he puts her hand down.
"I will break you," I said.
"Well, if that's what makes you happy, then. I certainly can't wait for it, ma'ams," He said as he tips imaginary hat.
Maya and I shudder in annoyance.
"You going to the school dance, Lucas?" Riley asked.
"Thought I would. You?" He responded. Maya and I make a gagging sound.
"You hear us?" May said. We make the noise again.
"You'll both be there. He'll be the one in a cowboy hat going like this," I said as a do a little cowboy dance. Maya joins me.The bell rings.
"So, you going to class?" He asked Riley.
"Thought I would. You?"
They walk into class as me and Maya continue to dance. Some students start to clap along. We stop.
"It isn't for you," Maya said. They kept clapping. Maya and I looked at each other.
"Okay, fine," I said as Maya and I started dancing again. We stopped and started walking to class when I saw Missy. She was waving me over. I turned to Maya.
"I have to grab something real quick. Be right back," I said. She nodded and walked into the class. I walked over to Missy.
"Did you think over our little deal?" Missy asked.
"I did and I'll do it. But if it involves hurting my friends, I'm out," I said.
"Oh, it's nothing like that. It's more school work," She said.
"What do you mean 'school work'? You might want to get Farkle for that."
"Not that kind of school work. You are going to steal a test for me."
"What? I can't steal a test! I'll get suspended!"
"You won't get suspended, if you don't get caught. Unless, you want your secret to get out."
I thought for a minute. I didn't want people to know my secret, but I didn't want to risk suspension for it. Yet, I don't use my head.
"Okay, fine."
"Great, give it to me after school," she said as she walks away. I walked into class. Everyone looked at me.
"You're late, Ms. Hart," Mr. Matthew said.
"I know," I said as I sat down. Mr. Matthew continue with his lesson on Darwin. Maya and Riley leaned over to me.
"Where were you?" Riley asked.
"You said you had to get something, what did you need to get?" Maya questioned. I didn't want to lie to them, but I didn't want to tell the truth either.
"It was nothing," I lied.
"Nothing doesn't make you 15 minutes lates to class, 'nothing' makes you right on time," Riley said.
"It was more than 'nothing'," Maya said.
"If I said it's nothing then it's nothing. Why do you need to question me?" I snapped. They jumped at my sudden outburst.
"I'm sorry, but it was nothing. Let's just forget about," I plead.
"We can't forget about," Riley said.
"If was enough for you to snap at us then it's enough to not forget about," Maya said.
"Girls," we turn back to Mr. Matthew. "Something you want to tell the whole class."
Before the girls can talk I spoke,"No, nothing at all."
"This is not over," Riley whispered.
After school I walked into Mr. Matthew's classroom. I saw him leave the building so I know he wasn't there. I tried to open the door, but it was locked. I grabbed a bobby pin from my pocket to pick the lock. After a few tries I was able to open the door. Once I got inside I walked to his desk. I opened a few drawers until I found one of them that held the test. I grabbed one off the top.
"What are you doing?"
I jumped at the voice. I turned around to see Farkle standing there. I put the test behind my back.
"Farkle! What are you doing here?" I said.
"I had chess club. What are you doing in Mr. Matthew's desk?"
"Nothing, I was... looking for something."
"More like stealing something."
"Farkle, why do you think I'm stealing something?"
"Because you broke into a classroom, went in his desk, and have a test behind your back."
"Farkle, you can't tell anyone. Not Mr. Matthew. Not Maya. Not Riley. Not anyone."
"I won't. Unless you don't tell me why."
"I can't"
"Why can't you?"
"Farkle, can you just trust me on this?"
"Can you trust me?"
"I can trust you Farkle, it's just complicated."
"So complicated that you can't tell me."
"Okay, fine. It's not for me, but that's all I can tell you."
"Who's it for?"
"Someone."
"Dylan, you can get suspended if someone catches you."
"I know, that's why I need to leave right now," I said as I walked past him. He grabbed my wrist and made me face him.
"Don't do this," He said.
"I have to, Farkle. You don't get it," I said releasing his grip. He took a step closer and looked into my eyes.
"Then make me get it."
"Farkle."
"No, Dylan. You need to tell me what's going on."
"Farkle, you need to let this go."
"Dyl, I know you get in trouble a lot, but this is beyond anything you have done. Why? Why are you going through with this when it's for someone else."
"Because something will happen if I don't."
"What will happened?" I didn't answer.
"Dylan!"
"Farkle, just stay out of it." I walked away, hoping he won't say anything. I walk to the spot Missy told me to meet her. I waited a few minutes. She walked up to me.
"You got it?" She asked. I pulled the test from my back pocket and handed to her.
"Great, I'll talk to you later for your next assignment," she said as she walked away. I start to walk back to my home. When I walk into my home. I was tackled to the ground. It was Maya.
"Maya! Get off of me," I yelled.
"Not until you tell me what's going on," She said.
"What are you talking about?"
"You were late for class, then you snapped at me and Riley, and then you didn't walk with us home. Now what's wrong?"
"Nothing is wrong. I was late because I couldn't find my notebook with all my songs in it and I snapped because I was mad that I couldn't find it. I stayed after school so I could look for it," I lied.
"Oh," she said getting off. We sat up looking at her.
"I'm sorry. Why didn't you just say that?" She asked.
"Because you and Riley would start to rip the school brick by brick to find something that's not worth all the effort."
"Did you find it?"
"Yeah, it was under my math book, so I would have never find it."
"Well that's good, I going to start dinner," she said as we got up.
"Mom's still working?" I asked annoyed.
"Dylan, think of it this way. If she was here all the time we still wouldn't be able to see her... because the lights would off because we didn't pay the bill," She said. I laugh as I walked to our room. I sat on the top bunk of our bed and open my bag. I grabbed my history textbook. I feel horrible about taking the test. I think that if I actually study and get a good grade, I won't feel as bad. I study until Maya called me for dinner. We ate in silence. I went back to studying until it was late in the night.
_____
Today was the test and I can't wait for it to be over. Mostly because I don't like the the fact that I helped Missy out and yelled at Farkle. Everyone was taking a seat. Farkle walked into the room. He came over to my desk.
"We need to talk," He said.
"Not now."
"Dylan..."
"Farkle, we'll talk. After class."
He walked back to his desk. Mr. Matthew into the room.
"Okay guys, time for your test on Darwin," He said. He grabs the test from his drawer and start to pass them out. I get my test and I saw what the questions were and... I actually knew them. I was able to answer the questions and get done before the bell. I looked at Maya. She seems to be really struggling.
"Time's up," Mr. Matthew said. We pass up our test. I turned to Maya.
"How was it?" I asked.
"You know, I know nothing," She said.
"Hey Dylan, Why didn't you tell us you lost your song book?" Riley asked. I turned to her.
"I didn't want you to worry about it," I said.
"But it was something that was important to you so it's important to us," she said.
"Riley it's fine." The bell rang. We go up and walked to the door. I was pulled back by my arm. I saw it was Farkle.
"It's after class," He said.
"So talk."
"Why did you lie to Maya and Riley?"
"I didn't lie."
"You told them you lost your song book and we both know you stole the test for Missy."
"How did you know it was for Missy?"
"I followed you yesterday. Why are you helping her when she was so mean to Riley?"
"I don't have a choice, okay? Missy has something on me and don't want it to get out."
"What secret?"
"A secret that not even Riley and Maya know."
"That big, huh?"
"If it wasn't would I be so focus on helping Missy. Look, Farkle, can you please keep this between us?"
"Of course Dyl, but if it gets out of hand, I'm telling."
"Farkle! But-"
"No buts," he said as he walked away.
The next day we were walking through the door as Mr. Matthews took attendants.
____
"Friar! Farkle! Hart! Other Hart! You," Mr. Matthews snarled at Riley.
"Dad, I...-" Riley started only to be cut off my him.
"Okay," She said as she walked to her desk.
"Well, guys. I've got your test results on Darwin to give back to you, and uh, I'm pleased to see some of you have "evolved" since the last quiz," Mr. Matthew waited for laugher. There was no laugher.
"Ha!" Farkle laugh.
"Thanks, Farkle."
"Well, you were drowning, sir." Mr. Matthew went on to pass back our tests.
"Ms. Hart. Ms. Hart. Mr. Friar. Nice work."
"Thank you, sir."
"Mr. Farkle," He said as he hand the test back to Farkle.
"A number 700. Huzzah!" Farkle said takes out a noisemaker and makes a noise.
"You," He said as he handed the test to Riley. I look at my test and saw something on my paper.
"What that? What that right there?" I said as I pointed to my test. Riley and Maya looked over.
"That's an A-!" Riley said.
"There's go my reputation," I joked. Riley and I looked over at Maya. She had a sad look on her face.
"You okay?" Riley asked.
"He gave me an F," Maya said.
"That's nuts, you're a solid D student," I explained.
"Mr. Friar, I took particular note of your position that evolution does not preclude the existence of... How did you put it?" Mr. Matthew asked.
"A guiding hand that has your best interest at heart," Lucas said. Maya raised her hand.
"Yes, Ms. Hart," He said.
"You failed me," she said.
"Why don't we talk about this after class?" he pleaded.
"What's there to talk about? You failed me," Maya stood up,"You think I'm a failure.There's nothing more for you to teach me."
"Oh, come on, both of you gotta say that?" Maya started to leave.
"What, you mean I lost 2 out 3 of you guys? Maya!" Maya turned around. "You do not walk out of here." Maya left anyway. Riley and I raised our hand.
"Go," Mr. Matthew said. We got up and left the classroom. We walked out of the classroom to see Maya cleaning out her locker.
"Redecorating your locker?" Riley asked.
"Nope. Cleaning it out! You want one? Because it's the last one you guys are gonna get." Maya's locker started to play as she put two paper sticks in. She pulls out two cotton candy and hands it to me and Riley.
"Maya, it's just one F," I told her.
"It's not about the paper, Dylan. Her dad failed me," she said.
"Yeah, I know, and, I'm not going on the Cyclone, I failed him. Can we just call it even?" Riley questioned.
"Nope, we can just call it I'm leaving," she said.
"Maya, we know you. You'll make a big deal about of this, pretend to leave school forever, and you'll be back by gym class," I explained.
"No. This time I mean it," she started to walk away. Just then, Mr. Matthew walked into the hallway.
"Ms. Hart," he said.
"Which one?" My sister asked.
"Dylan." I looked at Maya and Riley and started to walk into the class. The girls started to follow me. Mr. Matthew stopped them.
"I would like to talk to Dylan alone, girls," He said.
"But she in trouble and we want to save her," Riley said.
"You can't save her now," Mr. Matthew said as he walked into the classroom and closed the door.
"Mr. Matthews, what's going on?"
"Did you see your grade?"
"Yeah! I got an A-!"
"And cheating was the only way to get it?"
"What? I didn't cheat."
"I know you were here after school the day before the test. Also one of the test was missing from my desk."
"Doesn't mean I cheated on the test! I actually study!"
"Prove it."
"You want proof? How's this? Matthews, how long have you known me?"
"Years."
"And you still think that I would cheat?"
"Dylan, no one goes from a D+ to an A- overnight."
"I didn't realize that you have that little faith in me."
"Dylan, I didn't say-"
"You did. You called me stupid and a cheater. Forget it. There's nothing more for you to teach me." I started to walk out.
"Don't say that. I can't lose all of you."
"Should have thought of that before accusing me of cheating." I walked out of the classroom and go straight to my locker, which is right by Maya's.
"What's going on?" Riley asked.
"What's going on is that Maya and I are leaving school."
"Hallelujah!" Maya cheered.
"What? Why are you leaving?" Riley asked.
"Ask your father. The person who thinks I'm too stupid to get an A- on the test that I cheated by stealing a test instead of studying."
"What!? He said that?"
"Yep. Now Maya and I are leaving school forever."
"You guys are making a huge deal out of nothing," Riley said.
"He thinks I'm a failure and that Dylan is a stupid cheater," Maya said. We started to walk away.
"Alright girls, I'll see you tomorrow," Riley said, not believing us. We turned around.
"No, you won't," Maya said
"You'll pick me up at seven!"
"We won't be there," I said as Maya and I left the school.
_____
The next day Maya and I didn't go to school. We headed over to Riley's house. We sat in her bay window.
"You guys made your point, okay? You two didn't come to school today, and your teacher is really upset with you two," Riley said.
"He's not our teacher anymore. We now attend a prestigious online academy," Maya said.
"Welcome to the Frank Mantucci on da computer school, where youse get out of it what you put into it. And what you need to put into it is 400 dollars. Gimme," the guy on the computer said.
"You paid that?" Riley asked.
"Free trial. Dylan took the test to see if she qualify for the free trial," Maya explained.
"Guys, it's a scam, they take anybody," Riley said.
"Congatulations!" The guy on the computer said.
"I got in!" I said.
"You are the first person to ever fail the Frank Mantucci on da computer school. How'd you do dat?"
"How'd you do dat?" Riley mimics the computer.
"We asked: "Name?" You didn't put nuttin'."
"Well, at least you were smart enough not to give them your name," Riley said trying to see the bright side.
"Or I'm too stupid for any school," I said closing the computer.
"You're not stupid," Riley said. She looked over at Maya. "And you. Don't let one grade make you feel like you're not smart enough."
"It's not that I'm smart enough or that she feel stupid," Maya said.
"Then what is it?" Riley asked.
"Maybe sometimes, I'm not so proud of who I am," Maya explained.
"And maybe I like to think people believe in me more," I told her. Topanga then enter.
"How's it going in here?" She asked.
"Mom, tell Maya and Dylan to come back to school. Regular school," She told her mom.
"Hmm, so, you don't like this, huh?" She asked her daughter.
"Of course not! Maya and Dylan always comes to school with me. They always picks me up at seven. I look forward to it."
"Like a tradition."
"Yeah! Oh. You know, even though you're a mother, that was creepy good."
"So, Maya and Dylan don't show up like they're supposed to and how does that make you feel?"
"Oh," Riley said putting her hand on her heart.
"Honey, you have to go to him. He feels bad. You have to go to your father."
"We feel bad. Will he come to us?" Maya asked.
"No. He's your teacher. He doesn't have to," Riley said.
"But he will," Topanga said.
"What?" I questioned.
"He doesn't have to, but he will," Topanga said.
"Why?" Riley asked.
"Because he's always there." Mr. Matthews walked into the room. He holds our his hands for me and Maya. We take it and leave the room. He walks into the kitchen and we sit on the bench. He hands Maya her test.
"Read it."
"We don't wanna do this, Mr. Matthews," She said as we both stood up.
"Sit down," Riley commanded from the doorway.
"You can't tell us what..." I started only to be cut off.
"I just did." Maya and I sat back down.
"Thanks," She said as she sat down next to me. "Go ahead."
"Darwin animal studies were thought to be when the travels he took on the boat with the Beatles," Maya read off the her paper.
"Are you kidding me?" Riley said.
"Does she have to be here?" I asked, pointing to Riley.
"What were you trying to do?" Mr. Matthew asked.
"I tried to write it like I was smart," She explained.
"You are smart," Riley said.
"What did you mean to say?" Mr. Matthew said.
"Darwin studied animals."
"What kind?"
"I don't know."
"She does know," Riley said.
"I don't know, you think I don't know what I don't know?" Maya said.
"I think you know more than you don't know, but you don't know that!"
"You know what?"
"What did Darwin study?" Riley finally asked.
"Birds."
"There you go."
"Really? I got that one wrong," Riley said.
"You wanna be smart, Maya? Say what you mean. I understood that perfectly, and you're correct."
"That's all I had to say?"
"What was the name of his boat?"
"The Beatles."
"The Beagle, it's a tiny difference, but an important one. Because if you know it, Maya, you don't fail."
"I want to not fail."
"What kind of birds did he study?"
"I don't know."
"You do," I said.
"Finches."
"And what else?" Riley asked.
"Finches and mockingbirds."
"Yes," Mr. Matthew said.
"Yes." Riley said.
"How did you two know she knew?" Cory asked his daughter and I.
"We know she listens to you," Riley told her father.
"I listen to you," Maya said.
"Then you won't fail. And then neither will I."
"How about some turkey sandwiches?" Topanga asked.
"Darwin didn't study turkeys. He studied finches and mockingbirds. His boat was the Beagle," Maya said.
"And for extra credit?"
"Galapagos. The islands he studied were the Galapagos."
"Because she listens to me. Hey, Maya. Watch this." Mr. Matthew grabs Maya's test and writes on it. He handed it back to her.
"You're giving me an A?" Maya said with a smile.
"No, I'm giving you a C+. But I want you to see how easily an F can become an A. And you" he looks at me. "I'm sorry for accusing you of stealing and cheating on the test. Farkle said you were with him after his chess club because you needed help finding your songbook. You couldn't have gotten the test and cheated."
"It's fine. You thought I was to stupid to get and A on a test."
"No, Dylan, you never study so it was hard to believe."
"She did study," my sister said. "I had to rip the book out of her hand so she could eat."
"I expect this kind of work from you more often, Dylan. I believe in you."
"Thank you, Mr. Matthews."
"Nothing to be ashamed of anymore, girls," Riley said.
"Our dad doesn't live with...," I started.
"It's okay," Riley said.
"He's got this new family," My sister said.
"Girls, you don't have to...," Topanga
"We do have to. We have to be able to talk to you. If you give me an F or accuse Dylan of cheating, if you decide we're not worth working on...," Maya said.
"Girls, take a look around you. We're all here for you two. Does this look like we think you guys are not worth working on?"
"We just don't wanna fail, Mr. Matthews. Thank you," I said.
"I don't wanna go to the dance. The dance doesn't matter to me at all. I want to go on the Cyclone with you more than anything in the world!" Riley said
"You're going to the dance."
"Hooray," Riley said.
"I'm going to chaperone."
"What's that mean?" Riley said as she raised her hand.
"Hand," Maya said.
"What's that mean?" she said loudly.
"Grown-up voice," I said.
"Lucas, hello," She said.
"What's that mean?" Cory asked.
_____
Tonight is the dance. Maya and Riley already had a dance with and I still have to dance with him. Maya was hanging by the food table and Riley and Lucas dancing. I was dancing with Farkle. We copied Riley and Lucas and started to slow dance.
"Why did you lie to Mr. Matthews about the test. I mean I did take it, but," I asked Farkle as he spined me.
"I knew that you took the test, but I know you. I know that you wouldn't cheat," He said.
"Thanks, Farkle," I said as I kissed his cheek. He froze.
"Farkle? Farkle? You ok?"
"I don't know what to do."
"Just keep dancing you dork." He started to drag me across the floor. We stopped and he dipped me in front of Riley and Lucas. He was wearing a cowboy hat.
"The hat's just for me, isn't it? You actually put thought into our little game, don't you?" I asked. He took off his hat to reveal a rose.
"I actually do," he said as he put the rose in my mouth. I shudder with annoyance. Farkle took the rose from my mouth and put it in his. He shudder with delight. He dance me over to Maya.
"Thank you for the dance, my love."
"Yeah, not your love."
"You will love me."
"I will hurt you." He then ran off. I sat down at the table with Maya. She looked at be with an evil grin.
"Maya? What did you do?"
"Nothing." Mr. Matthew walked on stage.
"For tonight, we have a special guest. She's an amazing singer and songwriter. And a very great student," He announced. I looked over to Maya who had Riley join her. They both were smiling.
"You didn't," I said.
"Oh, but we did," Maya said. I stood up to walk away, but only to be blocked by Lucas.
"Move out of the way, Ranger Rick."
"Nope."
"I would like to announce Dylan Hart to the stage," Mr. Matthew said. Lucas, Maya, Riley, and Farkle pushed me up the steps of the stage even with my many protests. I move over to the band. Apperalty Maya and Riley read my songbook so they know what to play. Remind me to kill my sister and friend. I walk over to the mic. I see my friends looking at me from the bottom of the stage. The band started to play.