Girl Meets Crazy Hat

"There she is again," Riley said as we walked into the subway station, escaping the rain

"Crazy hat's always here," My sister explained.

"What do you think her deal is? Former movie star? Olympic figure skater?"

"Bum on a bench," I concluded.

"But look at how she looks at everyone. What goes on in a head like hers? I guess we'll never know."

"Hey, crazy hat!" Maya yelled.

"What goes on in your head?" I asked.

"And a new adventure begins," Riley said, trailing behind us.

"You, you, and you, c'mere! I'll teach you about life," Crazy Hat told us. Maya and I sat down beside her, but Riley stopped.

"Can't. Stranger. You want me to sit on the bench, I'm gonna need three forms of identification."

"Trust me," An officer interrupted,"I know who she is. She's all right."

"Okay, copper," Riley saluted him.

"Hey! That's officer copper to you. Mornin', Evelyn. Never gonna stop rainin', is it?"

"That's okay, Eugene. These three little dollies are about to give me one of their designer ponchos," Evelyn told the cop.

"They're garbage bags, Eugene. But you have to put a hole for your head," Riley explained.

"Ah, so you can breathe."

"So the garbageman doesn't throw you out."

"Yep, that happened," Maya told him.

"I was yelling, but he didn't care."

"We rescued her from the truck," I carried on.

"They chased me all the way to 33rd street."

"Wow, now those are friends. Me? I don't chase nobody for nothin'," Eugene said.

"What if I stole a banana?" I asked him.

"I'd be very disappointed in you."

"Okay," I replied looking down.

"I have observed you three are good friends," Evelyn said.

"Don't miss a thing, do you, crazy hat?" Maya exclaimed.

"No, I don't. Now you're about to be late for school, and I'm about to be late for addressing the united nations," She said getting up, "Have a good day, dollies. Be good people, learn all you can."

"How does that happen to someone, girls? Do you think that could ever happen to us?"

"Well, at least nothing worse than that could ever happen," My sister said, trying to calm our friend down. A garbageman walked over to the bench and lifted Riley into the bin.
"Girls!" She yelled.