7. Hidden

Deciding that a hooded cloak would be enough, you walked towards the doorway. Your butler was already waiting for you, and you dipped your head. Yesung carried a basket, in which you assumed that it was food for his family. You smiled at how caring he was, always remembering the tiniest things and putting others forward. He returns the gesture and pushes open the door.

"Let's go, my lady."

You were quite excited to finally meet Yesung's family, for he's never talked or mentioned them to you before. He was one that always kept to himself, and you constantly worried for his health, both mentally and physically because he always put you first. You just thought it was his amazing dedication to his job, but little did you know-- there was a whole other reason behind it.

Either way, you were grateful, but you wanted to learn more about him. And today, you were finally going to get a glimpse of his life.

The two of you walked to the village, for it wasn't too far from the household. You both pulled up your hoods, not wanting to be seen. He led you skillfully through the people, and you tried your best to not lose sight of him.

Before long, you arrived at a small house. The walls were old, just like the rest of the town. Yesung rapped his knuckles against the door twice, and the door immediately opened up, revealing a middle-aged woman. Her eyes widened when she saw the both of you.

"Jongwoon! My son! You're back!" She exclaims as she throws her arms around him, and you stared at him, confused. Yesung froze, unable to move as he stood with an awkward expression. He steals a glance at you, with desperate eyes that seemed to say, "I'll explain everything later."

"H-Hey Mother. I brought things back, just like I promised." He hands her the basket and his mother retrieved it gratefully. You smiled at Yesung's kindhearted gestures.

"And this must be the mistress you're serving! Greetings, please come on in!" She dipped her head at you, and you bowed respectfully back to her.

You quickly followed her into the house, and you scanned the place. Despite the looks of the house, the atmosphere was extremely comfortable, warm and light. Yesung lead you to what you assumed to be the dining table and sat you down while his mother ran to retrieve the rest of her family members.

A head suddenly peeked meekily from behind the wall that separated the room from the others, and you gave a small aww. Noticing that he's been seen, the child immediately raced to Yesung's side and hides behind him. You chuckled at how adorable he was. Yesung picked him up and sat him in his lap.

"Hello Jongjin, how have you been?" Yesung pinched his cheeks and patted his head lovingly. "This is Lady Y/N, please greet her."

You beam at Jongjin and leans down to meet his face, in which he shyly whispered a greeting.

"Hi... Lady Y/N..."

"Hello to you too, Jongjin," you smiled softly, in hopes of trying to ease his nervousness around you. "How are you?"

"I've been... good," Jongjin replied quietly.

"That's good to hear. How old are you?"

"I am..." he suddenly turns and glances up at Yesung, and the two of you burst into laughter.

"He's six," Yesung replied for him. "Sorry, he's really shy..."

"Wow, he's very intelligent for his age!" You complimented. "And he's like a mini version of you." Yesung shook his head.

"No, never! He's only acting like this around strangers. Once you leave, he'll go back to being extremely mischievous."

"Ah really? I don't think you're like that, right Jongjin?" You turned to the child and touched his nose. He giggles cutely, and it warmed your heart. "You're just a small, soft and kind boy who won't even hurt a fly. Unlike your savage brother—"

Yesung choked. "Hey!"

"Jongjin, there you are! You escaped your room again? You can't do that!" Jongjin's mother appeared behind them. Another man was standing behind her.

"There you go," Yesung remarked.

The man behind his mother turned out to be Yesung's father, and you stood up to bow to him. A conversation quickly developed between the four of you, while Jongjin sat quietly in Yesung's lap. His family members were extremely kind and generous to the both of you, and you've never seen your butler smile this much.

He must've missed them so much.

Who wouldn't, after going months without seeing their family?

You wished for him to smile more like this, because despite his position, you didn't think of him as someone under you. Rather, you thought of him as a friend. That's why you wanted to learn more about him, though Yesung thought it wasn't necessary.

"I'm Yesung, and I'm serving you as your butler. That's all you need to know about me."

Thankfully, as time passed, he began to open up to you, and you learned more about your caretaker, companion and friend. Though sometimes you did wonder if you were being a bit too nosy.

Then again, he's been with you for nearly eight years already. Serving you and only you.

"So, Lady Y/N— why did you come here today? Do you not have meetings to attend, et cetera?" Mr. Kim inquired. You nodded, but as you did...

You finally remembered your meeting with Donghae.

Your eyes go wide and Yesung tilts his head at you. "Lady Y/N?"

"Uhm, sorry, but I just remembered that I had to be somewhere at the moment— I forgot to tell you last night, Yesung. But I need to leave immediately."

Yesung blinked. "Wh-"

"I apologize for the sudden inconvenience, so Yesung, please stay with your family. I'll just go by myself." You couldn't let something like this interrupt their family reunion.

"But, my lady...!"

"No! It's fine, really. After all, it's not like you see your family every day. So please stay with your family for now, I will be safe." You stood up and bowed apologetically to everyone, and quickly walked to the door. As you shut the door behind you, you caught a glimpse of Yesung shooting up from his seat and racing after you.

Not wanting him to feel obliged to follow you, you hid behind a corner and watched as he ran passed you. Once he was out of sight, you began to run, but not before a hand reached out and grabbed you from behind.