9. Back Home

You've never realized that a time could pass so fast. In just a blink of an eye, the sun was already setting. The sky was tinted with beautiful colors as the sun gave into the moon once more, disappearing behind the horizon. Donghae had decided to walk you back to the main part of town, but you had declined his offer to walk you the entire way home. You decided you've troubled him enough for today.

"Are you sure?" Donghae gripped your arm.

"Yes. Your father must be anxious that you've been gone for so long," you reasoned. Donghae snorted.

"He doesn't care, he really doesn't. So don't worry."

"But still— today was already more than enough. My household isn't far from here, so I can make it back." You smiled lovingly at him before going onto your toes and planting a kiss on his chin.

"Alright. Just be safe, okay? See you again, princess." He winked, and you shook your head as he smirked.

"You too."

With that, you parted ways and you headed straight for home. You hugged your shoulders as the temperature had dropped significantly since the afternoon. You wondered if your parents even realized you were gone for so long— you and Yesung had snuck out.

Oh right. Yesung.

Part of you felt bad for darting away just like that, but if you hadn't, you wouldn't have met Donghae today. As you saw your household come into view, you quickly snuck inside the gates and using the key that you always kept with you in your clothing no matter what, unlocked the doors and entered the household.

You quickly scanned your surroundings, and when you decided the coast was clear, you aimed for your room. With legs scurrying as fast as they can carry you, you burst into your room and slammed it shut behind you. Before you could even blink, you felt a pair of arms grab you by the waist, and your back collided with another body.

"Thank goodness..."

You gulped. "Yesu-"

"Do you have any idea how worried I was?" He whispered in a shaky breath, tightening his clutch around you. You felt a pang of guilt in your chest as you felt his body trembling ever so slightly.

"I searched the entire town for you, but to no avail... I don't care where you disappeared to, or why you had to go so quickly, but don't ever, ever do that again."

Without another word, you quickly nodded. Yesung removed his arms from your waist and you turned, suddenly feeling a sort of emptiness in your heart. His back was turned to you, and he exhaled.

"You were with Donghae, weren't you?"

You pursed your lips together, not knowing how he found out. Was he upset because of that?

"...yes, yes I was."

"Did he hurt you?"

"No, he took good care of me."

Yesung nodded. An awkward silence hangs above the both of you, not knowing what to say to the other. You didn't know how much your sudden disappearance affected him. Truly, he was unlike the previous butler you've had, who actually mistreated you and got fired. Yesung then came along, and at the time he was only 20, but nonetheless, he excelled at his job. You disliked him at first, for he always frowned at specific things you did and being the immature girl you were, you didn't understand. But as time passed and you grew, the two of you began to get along and you understood him more.

At one point, he even began to smile at you, which gave you a sort of pride. You were able to make such a miserable person (that's what you thought anyway) smile so beautifully— his smile brought you joy.

Now that you think about it, you wouldn't have asked for anyone else to be your butler. And it wasn't any different for Yesung.

"An engagement ball is planned at Lee's household a week from today, and we are to attend," Yesung said shortly, breaking the silence. "Now if you don't mind, I have some other business to attend to. Excuse me." He walked to the door behind you, and you sighed.

"You are excused," you muttered, making way for your butler and listening to the dreadful click of your door.