3.4. (m)

Day after day,They take some brain away

Day after day,
They take some brain away.
Then turn my face around,
To the far side of town.
And tell me that it's real,
Then ask me how I feel.
-David Bowie

1st September 1975, Kings Cross Station

|Ruairi |

His feet hit the floor hard, causing him to stumble wildly for balance on the damp floor of the train station bathroom. His younger cousin, Fergal Quigley, snickered beside him, only to promptly lose his footing on the slippery tiles himself, crashing straight into his brother Naoise (pronounced knee-shah).

"Shut up," Fergal grumbled immediately, grasping onto the sink and hoisting himself back onto his feet. "It's not funny."

"I didn't say anything," Ruairi smirked widely. "House elf," he added under his breath as he exited the bathroom with his trunk.

"What'd you call me McLaughlin?!" Called the second year, his voice cracking at the end of his sentence. "Don't walk away from me! Square up!"

When Ruairi came out of the bathroom, along with the other Hogwarts students from Ireland, he settled on the task of getting to platform 9 and 3 quarters without being trampled by the rush of muggles.

He was rather grateful, along with the rest of the Irish wizarding community, that they had changed the portkey checkpoint from several streets away, to an unused bathroom in the actual station. 

As they made their way to the correct platform, muggles sent curious looks towards the spread out group as they went. Probably due to the heavy, wooden trunks they were tugging along with them (none had thought to grab a trolley) or the owls some had in cages.

"Too slow, Rur," Fergal taunted, rushing past the Slytherin and diving head first into the wall between platforms 9 and 10.

"That eejit didn't even check for muggles," sighed Naoise, as he watched his younger brother disappear. He was in 4th year like Ruairi, though he was a Ravenclaw. He was also, by far, Ruairi's favourite cousin.

Steam billowed around the platform of 9 3/4, which steadily streamed from the front of the Hogwarts express. He couldn't help but to scan the area for Lynn, his eyes catching her colourful hair. It had gotten darker through the years, changing from a strawberry blonde to a light auburn. 

He hadn't seen his sister all summer, since the first chance she got she had fled to James Potter's house. Of course, he couldn't exactly blame her since he would have done the same, but he was hardly invited to Walburga Black's; since apparently his mother had had a sort of rivalry with the woman.

But still, he couldn't quash the contempt he felt towards Lynn, for leaving him isolated in that wretched house.

"Come on, Rur," Naoise called. "Better chance of getting a seat if you get on now."