3.5. (h)

I'm so happy 'cause today,
I've found my friends,
They're in my head.
-Nirvana

MACUSA headquarters, New York, Sometime in August 1993

|Podraig|

Podraig didn't often think of wizarding Britain anymore, now that he's been living in America for about 20 years. He held a high position within the Major Investigation Department, thanks to his connection to his father and years of hard work. He had a beautiful wife, Seychelle McLaughlin neé Roy, and his three children, Melanie, Andrew and Sean, who his brought along to visit his father every Sunday for lunch.

Yet sometimes, snippets of news would reach his ears from across the Atlantic, when something major or strange happened in Britain. For example, the Quidditch world cup was to be held in England next year, and he had already booked tickets to the final, despite not knowing who was to play.

However, what he least expected to hear when he entered his office one morning was his co-worker and partner, Charity Wilson, announce that there had been an escape from Azkaban.

"Azkaban?" he questioned sharply, looking to the young woman with her combat boots up on her desk, lounging back in her chair with the paper in her grasp.

"That's what I said," Charity answered, watching as he sat in his own desk opposite him. "Am I pronouncing it right? Anyway, some guy escape from there two days ago, and apparently Britain's in a state about it."

"Well they would be, wouldn't they?" Podraig said, sitting his briefcase on his desk and taking out certain documents. "No one has ever escaped Azkaban before. It's pretty much impossible."

Charity made a face. "Obviously it isn't all it's made up to be then. Your people should take a leaf out of MACUSA's book and just finish off the bad eggs for good."

Podraig scowled slightly at her words, already settling down and getting to work, whilst she continued to lounge in her chair and ignore the papers beneath her boots. "First of all, they aren't my people. I'm Irish not British. Second of all, execution is hardly a better alternative. You can never be certain of someone's innocence or guilt, so just snuffing them out is hardly justice."

"And locking them up in a prison that literally sucks the hope and happiness out of you is?" 

The rest of the office around them, merely ignored the arguing duo, except a few that would rather listen to their bickering than work on whatever tedious case was on their desk. Often the two would argue, ever since Charity had joined the department three years ago as Podraig's partner, much to his chagrin.

At only 19 and fresh out of Auror training, Charity was a hyperactive, enthusiastic individual, who somehow always managed to get under the level-headed Podraig McLaughlin's skin. What had started as a forced mentorship, had grown into a reliant and steadfast partnership, and now the two were assigned the important, most dangerous cases the department had to offer.