3.8 (m)

Everyday (everyday) I try and I try and I try,But everybody wants to put me down,They say I'm going crazy,They say I got a lot of water in my brain

But everybody wants to put me down,
They say I'm going crazy,
They say I got a lot of water in my brain.
-Queen.

Saturday 1st November 1975, Hogwarts Castle, Marauder's era.

As first dates went, Lynn's wasn't the worst.

She waited impatiently for Cathal in the Great Hall, and though she refused to admit it, a mixture of nerves and excitement was uncomfortably twisting her insides.

"Come on Lynn, eat some breakfast," Marlene urged, piling bacon, sausages, beans and a fried egg onto her empty plate. "You can't be that nervous."

"I'm not nervous," Lynn denied instantly, smoothing out non-existent creases in her skirt. Her eyes kept darting towards the entrance, keeping an eye out for a familiar mop of curly, brown hair. "I'm just not hungry."

"You will be hungry later on," Alice reasoned, pushing the stack of toast towards her, as if the mountain of breakfast Marlene had stacked on her plate wouldn't suffice. "Come on, Lynn. You've spent loads of time with Cathal since school started. Why are you so nervous?"

"I'm not nervous," Lynn scowled at the fact they could see through her so easily. "I just don't want to fill up on breakfast when I'm going to be stuffing my face with Honeyduke's later."

"She's shitting herself," Marlene mumbled to Alice, before yelping as pain blossomed from where Lynn had kicked her from under the table. "Ow those boots are heeled."

"What do people even do on dates anyway?" Lynn asked, subtly continuing to check the doorway for any sign of her date. "I mean what's so different between this and all the time I've spent with Cathal before?"

"Well you're going to Hogsmeade," Alice started. "Probably going to have lunch together."

"Have you snogged yet?" Marlene grinned manically. "You'll probably snog. If he takes you to see the Shrieking Shack it's guaranteed."

"We haven't yet," Lynn admitted, receiving surprised looks from both Alice and Marlene. "And it's not happening at the Shrieking Shack, that I know for certain." The thought of snogging behind the derelict building that Remus was forced to transform in felt rather wrong in her mind.

"Seriously?" Marlene raised a brow. "You've been talking for almost two months now!"

"I know!" Lynn hissed, eyes darting to glare at a pair of 3rd year girls who were listening intently to their conversation. As soon as they were caught, they hastily looked away and feigned innocence.

"But every time I think something's going to happen, we get interrupted," Lynn murmured. The other girls leaned closer towards her. "Sirius or James appears out of nowhere and insists I need to help them with a prank or some other stupid excuse. Peter interrupted us twice to ask me for transfiguration help, which is weird because James always helps him with Transfiguration. Remus is the only one that hasn't burst into an empty classroom when we're about to bloody shift. The only thing I've managed to do is give him a damn peck."