3.12(m)

Though my eyes could see, I still was a blind man

Though my mind could think, I still was a mad man.
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming.
I can hear them say,
Carry on, my wayward son.
There'll be peace when you are done.
Lay your weary head to rest.
Don't you cry no more.

-Kansas

Conor McLaughlin's flat, Co. Derry, Ireland.

"Alright," sighed Conor. "Just tell me who did it. I'm not angry, I swear."

Lynn choked out a laugh, quickly covering it with a cough once her brother's eyes narrowed at her. "Aye right. Whoever admits to this is as good as dead. I'm saying nothing."

"Ruairi?" Conor turned to the other McLaughlin sibling, who had the poker face of a gambler. "Just say it was Lynn and you can go."

"I'm no snitch," he replied calmly. He had a jet-black kitten on his lap, having purchased it earlier that week, who was playfully swiping at the strings of his hoodie.

"Well my kitchen wall didn't burn itself!" Conor threw his arms up. "That wallpaper was Versace!"

"Fancy," she nodded in agreement. "A real tragedy, but it still wasn't me. Maybe there's a salamander in your flat."

"Very funny," Conor rolled his eyes. "If you don't tell me now I'm not letting you go to Diagon Alley with your friends."

"You're not my ma, I can go if I want to," she smirked.

"Good luck finding a fireplace in Ireland that connects to the British floo network," he folded his arms. "I'll tell the Fenwicks you're not going anymore. Are you really going to show up to their house without permission?"

Lynn's smirk was quickly wiped off her face. "I'll use Adare Manor then. Mam's never bothered to disconnect from the floo network. As if anyone in Britain would want to visit her anyway."

"Oh, you're going to the manor? Where mam is? That's a shit lie, Lynn, you're usually better at it."

She sighed in defeat, both of them knowing she wasn't going back to the manor. "I was trying to make pancakes."

"What? How do you burn a wall making pancakes?"

"I technically didn't burn it while making the pancakes. I just sort of got a little frustrated because they weren't turning out nice and um... my wand was sitting on the counter."

"So you decided to take your anger out on my designer wallpaper?!"

"Not on purpose! My hand was just really close to my wand and it, ummm... reacted."

"You did accidental magic?" Ruairi laughed in disbelief.

Lynn's cheeks flushed red. "Aye."

"Well, at least it was just a scorch mark," Conor sighed heavily through his nose. "Knowing you, that's the best case scenario."