Chapter 3 | Fitting

Iman's POV

I was waiting for Mr. Zane by grabbing a protein shake at the café he told me to meet him. After they called my name out, I went inside from the cafe's balcony to grab my drink. 

"Thank you"

I smiled but before I was able to turn to go back to the balcony, the barista stopped me and said, 

"Are you Iman?"

"Yes"

"Oh my god! I heard about your wedding! Congratulations! You guys are couple goals."

"Thank you"

I just gave her a smile when really, I didn't need the congratulations. I didn't like how the world believes that this marriage is real while I'm over here on the other end making a sacrifice. Then, again, this was also my choice. 

Brushing my thoughts off, I finally made my way to the balcony and I froze after seeing Zane sitting at one of the chairs. How did he get here? I was just inside and I didn't notice him.

But, once he saw me, he got up and pushed out a chair for me. I really wanted to decline that gesture of his but I have a weak heart and don't want a single soul to feel bad. So, I sat down.

"Good morning to you too."

"Mr. Zane. Can you explain why the media already knows of this?"

He was taken back by my ignorance but he went ahead and replied anyway. 

"I can assure you that it wasn't me. In fact, I don't know who it is myself. I too was surprised to see both our pictures together this morning."

I somehow felt like I could trust his words. He sounded sincere in a way but I need to remind myself that I don't know this guy. 

"Well, because of the news, my mother wants to meet you. She specially made me go out this early in the morning to come and get you."

"I don't want to meet with her."

Tell me why I wasn't surprised. He's the practical rich billionaire who only does what his black heart wants him to do. Heartless freak. 

"Then I'm afraid to say that this wedding won't be happening."

I crossed my arms over my chest, smirking and feeling like I found a way to bribe him but eventually, he came and crashed that thought. 

"Are you trying to threaten me? I don't know if you remember but this is your company at stake. Not mine."

"Fine, this is my company at stake but even if the both of us know this wedding is fake, at least let's try to convince the people around us."

Suddenly, I became emotional. Call me bipolar all you want but after thinking about the number of people we'd be fooling, I realized how big of a sin this all is. At the same time, there are the thousands of people who will be jobless if this doesn't happen. 

"Fine, I'll go meet your mother."

I looked up, surprised and a few seconds later he looked away from me to look into the distance. For once after meeting him, I felt like he didn't have a heart that was entirely black. The tone and his actions allowed me to tell. 

And it's not like I knew him for a long period of time either. It's only been a couple weeks but that's it. 

~~~

I sighed before knocking on my front door. I don't ever remember a time I was this nervous to open it. But, eventually, Mama did and with a big smile that blinded a person.