Chapter 23 | News

Zane's POV

"Sir, I have notified all news outlets to take down any articles or stories related to Ms. Iman and let them know that strict, legal action will be taken through the company if they proceed."

I nodded, "Thank you, Zack."

"Is there anything else you need me to do at the moment," he asked before turning to leave through the door.

"No, not at the moment."

He nodded and left the room, leaving me with Hamdan and my mother. I looked down at all the wires attached to my right arm and contemplated whether I should take them out and declare my leave, but someone caught on. 

"Child, don't think about it." 

I look up to see my mother shaking her head. She knew exactly what I was thinking despite a distance I had kept from the family for so long. 

"If you're not thinking about yourself, think of what Iman had to go through to get you in this state."

"I know mama and that's exactly what's been bothering me. I'm not someone who deserved the act she did for me." I raised my voice but only by a little so I didn't startle her. 

"Well, it's been done. Ruining it won't resolve the deep guilt you're feeling." 

She stood up and left the room, telling Hamdan and I that she was going to be getting some air.

Then, Hamdan and I looked at each other and he asked me, "Who do you want me to send?"

"I don't want you to send anyone. I want you to go."

Hamdan looked started as soon as I replied to his question. 

"Why, brother? I've ruined her life as it is." He looked away from me towards the wall that was to his side. 

"To make up for it. Plus, I trust you, more than I could trust the rest right now. You've already tracked her once. You're able to do it again. Only, for a different intent." I kept observing his every gesture to see if he was going to give in to my request. 

After a few seconds, he finally said, "Fine, but only on one condition." 

"That is?" I questioned.

"I bring Harper with me." 

I scrunched my eyebrows upon hearing his condition. 

"Why do you need harper?"

"Because she's a woman. Who knows what condition Iman is in. Plus, Iman would feel less startled if she sees her."

I could see his point, but since when did he ever consider other people's feelings before his own was the question...

"Fine. You can take Harper. But that's it. I don't want anyone else being a part of this."

Just as I finished my sentence, there was a knock on the door, followed by the presence of two police officers.

"Mr. Zane, we apologize for what you had to go through."

I nodded, and they proceeded with their statement. 

"The person who shot you was Munir Daur. He happens to be related to your fiance, being her older brother."

My mind went blank and I was in utter shock. 

"With that being said, we have held him behind bars, waiting on your answer of whether or not you'd like to take charges."

For a few seconds, I wasn't able to answer. Nothing was making sense to me anymore. Iman disappearing and also, the shooter during our wedding being her brother. How was any of this connected?